Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I need a car for only a couple of weeks

Options
  • 02-01-2012 7:55pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, long story short I need a car for a couple of weeks, maybe 2 months absolute max. I have an offer on my current car which I need to take as it will be very difficult to sell and the NCT is up soon. The car I am going to buy is not going to be on sale for a few weeks yet; could be two weeks, could be 6 weeks - but I need something to get me around in the meantime.

Ideally I'd love to find someone who would rent me some car they have lying around the place that is not being used - but not sure where to try to find someone that would do this. Alternative is to find some cheap as chips car on donedeal or something for a few hundred quid that I could sell on - but there is a lot of hassle involved.

Kinda now need to move on this quickly so does anyone have any advice as to what the best option for me on this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Visit the Bangernomics thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

MugMugs wrote: »
    Visit the Bangernomics thread?

Exactly what I was going to say. If you buy a bangernomics car.....chances are you buy sensibly, you will be able to sell it for the same price you paid pretty easily when you need to

I'd get a Punto or Almera that's rough as a bear's arse for €300 or so, the sort of cheap thing that folks wouldn't even post in the bangernomics thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Have to agree with RJ, plenty of stuff out there for a couple of hundred quid that'd last you a month or two. Hit Donedeal or Gumtree.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah that's the problem most of the cars in that thread are 1k or more. Is it feasible to find something for €300 or so with an NCT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There was a vectra for 350 yesterday

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah that's the problem most of the cars in that thread are 1k or more. Is it feasible to find something for €300 or so with an NCT?

Yep, loads and loads, won't be too long an NCT though.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

Where to get a car for a few weeks ? hhmm thats a tough one. It would be handy too if you were on holidays. Em they could locate them in the airports. Then if they teamed up with the internet you could borrow them online.

Why doesn't someone invent something like that:):):)

Just joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

If a garage is selling you the new car they would loan you one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The thing about bangernomics cars is they take time and effort to find, and there's always an element of risk. My first instinct would be to call around for quotes on a months rental for a small car - shouldn't cost more than €100/week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

How much would hiring a small car cost for a couple of weeks? If you're willing to buy one for €300-500, could you not spend this amount on hiring one?

Taxed too ('till end of this month)...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2824192

Full?id=9158693

Should lose next to nothing on it if it's remotely healthy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1 wrote: »
    The thing about bangernomics cars is they take time and effort to find, and there's always an element of risk. My first instinct would be to call around for quotes on a months rental for a small car - shouldn't cost more than €100/week.

Good idea - just had a quick look at thrifty.ie and they have an economy car (e.g. a Polo) for 365.97 a month. I tried for 2 months, but they said to contact them regarding a long term rental - that could be cheaper. It might cost a couple of hundred more than buying a banger, but it removes a lot of hassle in both finding and then getting rid of it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Good to know you can hire so cheap, the only thing is I 'hope' my new car will be ready in 2-3 weeks but it may take a lot longer and it it was 6-8 or more weeks it would become very expensive. Its having some work done on it so not sure how long it will take the guy to finish.

Thanks RoverJames something like that would be ideal! If it had a few months NCT then I could sell it on with NCT also. I'll give him a call. Any more anyone sees please let me know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Advertisement