Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home theatre and tv playing sound at same time...annoying

Options
  • 02-01-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Folks,

Just upgraded (finally) from crt to an LED tv. I used to connect my Phillips home theatre to tv via scart lead. When I turned on the player, the tv auto changed to av channel to show the picture and the sound came only through home theatre speakers.

Now I'm connecting the same system to the new tv via a hdmi cable. It no longer auto changes the source, I have to select the source as hdmi and now sound is coming through the tv and the home theatre speakers at the same time.

Anyone any ideas whats going on or am I total thick and missed something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Where is the TV signal coming from - is there a Sky or UPC box connected to the Philips Home Theatre system?

Have you connected that (Sky or UPC) box to the AV receiver via coax or optical (for digital audio) as well as via HDMI?

Are there other boxes such as DVD or Blu-Ray players connected to the AV receiver?

More info please, describe your exact setup and what is connected to what.

If the TV is not the source for audio then you should just be able to turn the TV sound level down to zero (using the TV remote) and the sound will come through the external speakers only. Using mute on the TV may leave an annoying logo on the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

There is often an option in the TV Sound settings to turn off TV speakers which should then leave you without that issue.

Is the HDMI connection the only connection to the TV or are other devices also on? If yes, does that system be turned on before or after the TV? Possibly a signal handshake issue?

Advertisement