Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opening an Ulster account

Options
  • 02-01-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

My current bank is AIB and need to switch to Ulster because their debit card is a VISA, also because Ulster don’t charge this fee and that fee apart from government duty (I believe?). If I open account with Ulster account and they ask if I had any other account in another bank, what should I do?
    I want to say yes but I don’t want them start asking me to show the statement or something like that because I don’t see the relevance? I don’t want to say no but Im worried they will ask me to provide unnecessary documents. Also, which is a better way to open Ulster account? Online or in person?

Thank u

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

One photo ID is needed (passport or drivers license) and one recent proof off address (utility bill or credit card statement) is needed when opening an account in a branch. 2 when opening online. They don't need bank statements unless you are looking for an overdraft.

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/useful-information/identity-proof.ashx

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

Jet Black wrote: »
    One photo ID is needed (passport or drivers license) and one recent proof off address (utility bill or credit card statement) is needed when opening an account in a branch. 2 when opening online. They don't need bank statements unless you are looking for an overdraft.

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/useful-information/identity-proof.ashx

thanks Jet Black! :) hope thats all they need

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Spot on, unless your looking for facilities you'll not need to provide any information on other bank accounts. You will be asked if you hold accounts elsewhere and it's best to answer honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

AIB Bank will have Visa Debit soon. Bank of Ireland are rolling it out between now and June this year.

Ulster Bank are good for basic banking, I always advocated for them. I had a run in recently with an SQA (glorified teller) and different answers from different branches. Very unprofessional.

I have seen people say good and bad about them. It was all good for me for 3 years until I had an interaction with them.

Unless its urgent (Visa Debit) I would reconsider baking with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Spot on, unless your looking for facilities you'll not need to provide any information on other bank accounts. You will be asked if you hold accounts elsewhere and it's best to answer honestly.

Yes you will. They asked me for account statement from my other bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

I'll be moving to Dublin soon and would need to open a bank account for my wages. I don't have a proof of address at the moment..

Do you know if there a way around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

dublin daz wrote: »
    AIB Bank will have Visa Debit soon. Bank of Ireland are rolling it out between now and June this year.

Ulster Bank are good for basic banking, I always advocated for them. I had a run in recently with an SQA (glorified teller) and different answers from different branches. Very unprofessional.

I have seen people say good and bad about them. It was all good for me for 3 years until I had an interaction with them.

Unless its urgent (Visa Debit) I would reconsider baking with AIB.

I've had the precise opposite experience, and if AIB's eventual Visa Debit is as idiotic and disorganised as their Credit, I'd avoid them like the plague.

Delighted to have switched to Ulster for all my banking and have found them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I'll be moving to Dublin soon and would need to open a bank account for my wages. I don't have a proof of address at the moment..

Do you know if there a way around this?

Are you moving from outside Ireland, or from somewhere else in Ireland?

If you already live in Ireland, just request a tax credit certificate from Revenue. This will do fine. Either wait until you move to Dublin, change your address with Revenue and receive it in the post there. Or just have it sent out to your current address, open the account and change your address with Ulster Bank when you move. As far as I remember, proof of address is not required for a change of address, just when opening the account.

If you're moving from outside Ireland, I think you will need to wait until you get here and have registered with the tax system to have a PPS number. Not 100% sure about that one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

@number10a

Thanks for that. I'll be moving from the UK. Looks like I'll have to wait. Also looking into PPS number which probably also needs an address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

You do need to have an Irish address for a PPS number, but you don't need to prove it. So don't worry about that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

You dont need a PPS number to open a bank account with Ulster Bank. I opened one without it and I got a letter from my work which they used for proof of address. The bank printed out a letter which I had to hand to my employers, it explained what format they required the letter to be written in and then bank accepted it straight away.

The reason I came across this thread, is that I have 2 Ulster bank accounts now, I was upgraded after 3 months of wages going in. I noticed I just had 5euros from each account taken to pay for Government stamp duty!!!

Whats that all about? If Id known that, Id have closed the other account, it sits there unused, except now its -5euros! They better not even think about charging me for having an unauthorised overdrawn account. I never knew anything about this ridiculous 5euro charge.

Pps is requires for any account that pays interest as per regulator rules. Proof of such is not normally sought and banks would take your word for it. After all if the revenue query it they find out anyhow.

The €5 charge is the GSD for ATM cards. Do you have a ATM for both accounts? If not then seek a refund of one of the charge.

As for going over your limit, what makes you think "they better not even think about charging me"? They will, they will bounce any dd or s/o and charge you €12.70 for the hassle, if they do pay them they charge you €4.44 for the hassle. If you use you ATM card to buy anything then every single db will be meet with a €4.44 charge. All if this is in those brouchers you got.

And lastly, all banks charge theses fees.

Yeah, I have 2 ATM cards. I wont bother applying for a refund, not for that amount, especially when thats what its meant to cost.

As for "what makes me think they better not charge me"....well lets just say that I never knew there was going to be a charge for an ATM card. So the account I dont use anymore has been put into arrears because of this charge. I wont be putting ANY money into that accont. They can try and apply charges until the cows come home, I certainly wont be giving them a single cent. All it will take is a phonecall to the bank to query this charge which Ive never heard of, they will then pass me onto the manager who will drop the charges imposed and that will be the end of the matter.

The banks really want your business, so a simple request and youd be amazed at what charges will be dropped. A query as to why its 12euros and that you want a written breakdown of the costs involved in what is an automated charge should result in charges wiped and "thats it all taken care of Richard" response. Ive done it numerous times in the past. The banks have been overcharging for years now, stand up for yourself and you will be ok.

I agree, however a good manager will not let a customer away with it for long.

Only so many chances can be given in all fairness.

Yes, absolutely. Ive never phoned this bank before as Ive never had reason to, so this "first offence" will be ok.

Weird about the PPS situation, I never lied about having one or not, I just wasnt asked. I told them I had just got here and had not been to get one yet, but that I needed a bank account so that wages could be paid into it.

A current account does not pay interest so it's not really needed.

Your are obliged to give it if asked and you can refuse but will be this refusal will be made note of.

Advertisement