Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get Weißwurst in Dublin?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Had these tasty little beggars over the new year while I was visiting the OH's family. Her dad said they might have them in Aldi. Had a look in Lidl earlier today but didn't see any.

Anyone know if you can get them in Aldi or anywhere else in Dublin?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Here you go - a traditional white sausage recipe - http://www.live-like-a-german.com/recipes/show/72/weisswurst

It doesn't keep (unless preservatives are added) which may be why supermarkets don't sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

The whole cutting them out of the skin to get at them was a bit strange the first time I tried them, but they are very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

1huge1 wrote: »
    The whole cutting them out of the skin to get at them was a bit strange the first time I tried them, but they are very tasty.

Don't you have to squeeze them out of the skin actually? That's sometimes more fun than eating them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Don't you have to squeeze them out of the skin actually? That's sometimes more fun than eating them :D
    the sign of freshness is how "stuck" the meat is to the skin so thats only really possible with a very fresh sausage. With anything a day old or so its not going to work.

Myself, I stick to the standard method of splitting it down the middle along the sausage and then cut out little wedge shaped chunks. You can never go wrong with that.

Actually, regarding availability in dublin of the things, wouldnt you also need the sweet mustard to go with it?
    Fresh Brezn is in Lidl and Weissbier now widely available there and other places so at least thats 2 parts of the proper Weisswurst brekkie you dont have to worry about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

the sign of freshness is how "stuck" the meat is to the skin so thats only really possible with a very fresh sausage. With anything a day old or so its not going to work.

Myself, I stick to the standard method of splitting it down the middle along the sausage and then cut out little wedge shaped chunks. You can never go wrong with that.

Actually, regarding availability in dublin of the things, wouldnt you also need the sweet mustard to go with it?
    Fresh Brezn is in Lidl and Weissbier now widely available there and other places so at least thats 2 parts of the proper Weisswurst brekkie you dont have to worry about!!

I only ate them in restaurants so far, I suppose, they were quite fresh at that stage ;)

Anyway, the sweet mustard is compulsory with it, so say the Bavarians. They are right, any other mustard takes away the taste, because it's too hot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement