Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

differences between bmw 316, 318 and 320

Options
  • 02-01-2012 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question to be asking but my knowledge of cars aint the best! Anyways what are the main differences between BMW CI 2DR 316, 318 and 320? I was looking to buy one of these (around 2004/2005). Also what is people's opinions on these cars? Would you recommend them? I had also been looking at the Lexus IS200.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭spankadamonkee

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question to be asking but my knowledge of cars aint the best! Anyways what are the main differences between BMW CI 2DR 316, 318 and 320? I was looking to buy one of these (around 2004/2005). Also what is people's opinions on these cars? Would you recommend them? I had also been looking at the Lexus IS200.
    As far as I know the 3 means 3 series. The model of the car. So 316 means 3 series 1.6 litre. 318 means 3 series 1.8 litre and 320 means 3 series 2 litre . I am open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

As far as I know the 3 means 3 series. The model of the car. So 316 means 3 series 1.6 litre. 318 means 3 series 1.8 litre and 320 means 3 series 2 litre . I am open to correction though.

That'd be too sensible :) It used to work that way until a few years back Afaik

i = petrol, d= daysul

For 04/05 you're talking about an E46 3 series

bmw-3-e46.jpg

The 316i from 1999-2001 had a 1.9L 105bhp engine, in 2001 it got a newer 1.8L 116bhp engine - this would be the one in a 04/05

The 318i between 1998 - 2002 had a 1.9L 118bhp engine, 2002 it got a new 2L 143bhp engine. Again, this would be the one in 04/05 models

The 320i has a 2.2L 170bhp engine

The E90 3 series was launched in March 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

The [3]xx number is roughly proportional to engine power.

ed: what he said ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Such a good looking car, still.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

Just to add the 320i has a 6 cylinder engine while the 316i and 318i have 4 cylinder engines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Theres a useful table on the wikipedia page, this link should bring you directly to it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(E46)#Petrol_engines

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

Keep an eye on the N42 engine in particular!!! Can be troublesome at times....a quick google will show it up. Just bear this in mind if you are going to look at one. The Camshaft adjustment units on these can cause issues resulting in big bills! I have been there....just a word of caution. Not saying every N42 engine is troublesome...far from it. But just beware as there are problems. A beautiful car and engine when all goes well....but when things go bad, they mount up and so does the cost..
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Slowest, slower and slow........?

Only messin'.....mind you, the 316 is pointless and the 318 not far behind. Under-engined would be the kindest words.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was no 316Ci, thankfully. The 318Ci was the entry model in the E46 coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

tax;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

op what is your budget? there is no 316 coupe for the E46. If your thinking of going for 6 cylinder, id go for 325ci, difference in tax is negligible for extra 25bhp...

Advertisement