Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The big C

Options
  • 02-01-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭

So, I smoke, but I wonder: how can I check if I may or may not have cancer. Random thought popped into my head. So, does anyone know?

Also, for the craic, I'm thinking of setting up a direct-debit of maybe a tenner a month to a cancer research organisation. Which one would be the best? I don't really care where the organisation is located, but would like to know a good one.

I like smoking, so will continue to do so, but at the same time wish to stay healthy, thus the check, and wish to live long, thus the DD to the cancer research.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thread moved from Smoking.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So, moved to LTI.

Howdy all, I can see this being bounced again, but meh.

Anyhoo's, I like smoking, but would like to check my lungs to ensure they're in tip-top shape. Telling me to give them up is not why I'm here: I'm here to get info on where to get them checked.

Also, looking for a decent organisation that researches cures for cancer. Probably go for a British/American/French/Canadian organisation as they'd probably have long standing organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Here you go.

How to test your lungs*: how long can you breathe out for? How long to inflate your lungs fully? Can you run for a bus? When you exercise to the point of getting breathless, how fast is your heart rate? How fast are your breaths? How long can you hold your breath for? Compare each over time to see if there is a deterioration.

*Tests invented by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Best advice I can give, is go to GP and ask for PFTs(pulmonary function tests)or an MRI- may be costly but worth it.Cover your ears,though,as the GP will try to discourage you from smoking.

Of course,if you have this MRI repeated yearly to ensure you're free from cancer- the exposure to radiation may be,in itself, a significant risk factor.

Enjoy your smoking*-and if you ever have the slightest inkling of a desire that you wish to quit,let me know.
    ( www.cancer.ie )

Good luck-it's a jungle out there.

* disgusting habit- in over 2 decades of nursing, smoking has been the significant risk factor in a high % of my patients illnesses, and the majority of my patients deaths over the last decade-
    Have I the stats to prove this?
    No, only memories of sad families and too many patients wishing they could turn the clock back and never have started in the 1st place.*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Hi the syco,
    I strongly recommend that you read This Booklet from the Irish Cancer Society.

You say that you want to remain healthy, whilst continuing to smoke. I'm afraid that the odds are against you. Current research indicates that smokers have a 50% chance of developing Cancer, particularly lung Cancer - not very good odds at all - the toss of a coin!

If you do develop lung Cancer, you will have a life expectancy of approx. 5 years. It isn't a case of "getting a slight touch" of Cancer - lung Cancer is a particularly vicious bugger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Smoking can also be a contributory factor in oesophageal cancer so you might ask your gp about an endoscope also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

msthe80s wrote: »
    Of course,if you have this MRI repeated yearly to ensure you're free from cancer- the exposure to radiation may be,in itself, a significant risk .

no radiation in an MRI, just in CT. There is some evidence from the US that surveillance CT for lung cancer may be of benefit in high risk patients, i.e. smokers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also not being mentioned here is that there are alot of other illnesses that seriously deteriorate quality of life that you have a substantially increased risk of if you smoke even one a day.

Type 2 Diabetes
    Cardiovascular disease
    Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder
    Atherosceloresis
    Cerebral thrombosis followed by dementia
    High blood pressure
    Kidney Failure
    Coronary thrombosis (smokers account for >90% of bypass patients)
    Macular degeneration (loss of eyesight)
    Periodontal disease (rotting mouth to put it in laymans terms)
    Reduces the levels of Vitamin A in the body leading to bad skin and wrinkles
    Increases risk of ED by 50% for men over 40 (increases it in younger men as well but this is the figure I remember from lectures)
    Increased cholesterol levels
    Decreased levels in the oxygen carrying ability of the blood

Some of these are related but you get the point, smokers always refer to cancer when talking about smoking, no one ever mentions the other issues. These are of the top of my head, there are alot more. Checks for several of these will not reveal anything until the damage is done but the next time you get out of breath just running a short distance to catch a luas/bus/taxi, it's a good indication that the health check is unnecessary.

As a matter of interest will you stop if the health check brings up some negatives? Is there a line where you say no more or is it a case of just wanting to know the bad news to prepare?

EDIT: I realise that it sounds like I am being a bit of a dick, I'm not, just pointing out the facts, there are instances where smoking has been shown to be beneficial, particularly in the case of people with Serotonin receptor disorders, schizophrenia (although it would be far healthier to just use the chemicals with the beneficial effects, nicotine in this case if I recall correctly, long time since I read anything on it) etc. to name just a few of the top of my head (although it should be pointed out that those without such issues often are shown to develop Serotonin deficiency issues from smoking).

Advertisement