Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Approximate Cost of Service

Options
  • 02-01-2012 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm an owner of a 00 Corolla and need to have it serviced. Always feel like garages see a woman coming and think, here comes a walking ATM!

I need to get the following done:
    Full service: replace oil and oil filter,
    possibly replace 4 spark plugs,
    replace bulbs,
    new break pads pads,
    all droplinks worn

Could anyone give me a ball park figure on what all this would cost. Need to plan in advance re: budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Off the top of my head I would say around €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Halfshaft

You probably are'nt too far off the mark with that price. What part of the country are you in neemish?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If you got all that done for €250 I'd say that would be a very reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

I'm in Dublin - would be delighted with 250. was quoted 140 for the droplinks alone. NCT up at the end of Feb. Knew it was coming but didn't think I'd need so much work done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

neemish wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin - would be delighted with 250. was quoted 140 for the droplinks alone. NCT up at the end of Feb. Knew it was coming but didn't think I'd need so much work done.

why not lash it thru' the NCT first before you finalise your shopping list.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

neemish wrote: »
    I need to get the following done:
    Full service: replace oil and oil filter,
    possibly replace 4 spark plugs,
    replace bulbs,
    new break pads pads,
    all droplinks worn
    Firstly a "full service" (as per your owners manual) should include the oil, plugs, possibly coolant, brake fluid, checking bulbs, pads, etc.

Who told you that your pads and drop links needed replacing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Thanks MidlandsM - might not be a bad idea at all!

Have had a banging noise for about ten days. Stopped at a garage to get it checked and was told it was the drop links. Asked was it safe to drive, and was told yes. Couldn't get them fitted as it was so close to Christmas and money tight.

Brakes are a bit squeaky in the last three to four weeks, hence the new pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the car is due it's NCT in February then you can book it in now as it can be done 3 months prior to it's due date. The cert will still be valid from the early date it is tested plus the 12 months from the due date.

I would book it now and just send it through, let the NCT tell you what needs fixing. Then go to a garage, get it serviced plus what the NCT tells you needs sorting to pass it. It saves you spending money on guess work and possibly two trips to a garage. The retest is only €28 afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

^^Good advice there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Keep in mind as well that the purpose of a car service, brake pad replacement and suspension parts is safety and preventing further issues not passing an NCT.

If you know these issue need attention, then is it not best to get them done anyway, regardless of when the NCT is due? The NCT brake tests will not tell you if you pads are almost worn to the metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Keep in mind as well that the purpose of a car service, brake pad replacement and suspension parts is safety and preventing further issues not passing an NCT.

If you know these issue need attention, then is it not best to get them done anyway, regardless of when the NCT is due? The NCT brake tests will not tell you if you pads are almost worn to the metal.

You are completely right, of course, but the cheapest path for the op at the minute is nearly certainly to NCT the car then get this work done plus the NCT work at the same time.

Advertisement