Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Anime of 2011

Options
  • 02-01-2012 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

So the Autumn season is finishing up and the question remains - what was the best anime of 2011? To start off, here is a good blog post awarding best anime in categories such as adventure, comedy, romance, drama, cinematography, animation etc. aswell as some fun ones like biggest disappointment, biggest surprise etc.

Do you agree with those guys choices? What were your personal favourites and what turned out to be a bit shít?

Here are my top 5:

For me, the run away winner this year was Puella Magi Madoka Magica. I love EVERYTHING about this show and I've already watched it 3 times since it aired >_> I think it was the perfect length to develop the characters and plot but still bring it to a satisfying conclusion. It made me cry, it made me think and it made me want more! Definitely my Best Anime of 2011.

A very close second is definitely Mawaru Penguindrum. Absolutely incredible series with detail the likes of which I've never seen in an anime before. The story was slightly slow to get off his feet but by the time mid season came around I was dying for each episode to air! It covers some pretty messed up stuff and the ending is a tad difficult to get your head around but if you read the translator's notes for each episode and think about it a bit you realise just how genius it is. I can't wait to watch it from the start again - I feel it's a series I'll take something new from everytime I watch.

In 3rd place I'm going to put Nichijou. I didn't watch it when I'm aired but I'm currently making my way through it. Even though I'm not even half way yet I frickin LOVE this anime! I'm a sucker for Slice of Life/Comedy so that's no surprise :P It's hilarious and I don't want it to be over ;_;

My 4th place goes to Tiger&Bunny. Another anime that made me laugh, cry and left me wanting more! The 1st half of the series was fun with some good action but mid season onwards is where it really picked up - and those last few episodes? Brilliant! It was just a really enjoyable way to spend 20 mins! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 2nd series :D

My 5th place is a tie between AnoHana & Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai. Both quite different genres but I really enjoyed them and couldn't pick between them for 5th place >_< AnoHana is a beautiful drama that depicts realistic friendships and had me bawling by the last episode. Haganai on the other hand was just plain silliness. I loved all the gaming and anime references and I agree with the guys in the blog - the ecchi was grand. It added more than it took away from the show and it was fairly infrequent. If you like OreImo then this is a must see!

My favourite anime movie is the K-ON! movie... and yes, I haven't seen it yet >_> But I'm a massive K-ON! fangirl and have watched the trailer about 50 billion times so *when* I get to see it I'm confident it'll be my fav film of 2011 :P

My Biggest Disappointment was Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon. After the epic Tiger&Bunny I was really looking forward to this Sunrise offering. But no, it was total crap. I only watched 3 episodes which were filled with WAY too many characters, WAY too much fanservice and a plot so convoluted I couldn't even attempt to keep up. Utter shíte.

I still have some 2011 anime that seem popular to watch - Steins;Gate & Denpa Onna - but those are my picks anyway :)

tl;dr What were the best anime of 2011 in your opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Konata wrote: »
    My Biggest Disappointment was Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon. After the epic Tiger&Bunny I was really looking forward to this Sunrise offering. But no, it was total crap. I only watched 3 episodes which were filled with WAY too many characters, WAY too much fanservice and a plot so convoluted I couldn't even attempt to keep up. Utter shíte.
    Oooo... mecha :pac: May look into getting the 13 episodes of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Hmmm I think I would have to give madoka 2nd place, although I need to re-watch it as I rushed it a small bit.. Somehow I feel like its over rated though :confused:.
    Steins;gate is up at near the top too, brilliant show. But I think the over all number 1 for me this year has been ano hi mita hana no namae o bokutachi wa mada shiranai.
    Perhaps this will change once I finish watching Mirai Nikki, which has been excellent so far.

After that, I dont really know to be honest. I hate ranking things in order as I find it quite difficult to chose. Some other good anime that comes to mind is Yumekui Merry, and kami sama no memo chou.

Personally I disliked Nichijou, I felt like it was trying too hard to be random or something. Only character I liked was the cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Hey, some people loved Horizon and it got a second season, can't have been that bad
    Then again, some people loved Ao no Exorcist and I found utterly boring and predictable
    For some of the most flawless execution I've ever seen in an anime Madoka is my number 1 this year as well.

As for the runners up Nichijou, Steins;Gate and Fate/Zero were all terrific. Fate/Zero isn't resuming until april so it is pretty much a season and I'll judge it as such.

As for the disappointments the #1 was Mawaru Penguindrum for me. It started off so amazing with such a great artistic direction (Aside from the character designs, not a fan of girly boys and some of the female characters always looked like their hair was wet, wtf!) interesting plot and fantastic music and then it just started a long period of nothing interesting happening. I feel it could have been one of the season's strongest shows and an instant classic had it been a 12 episode show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Steins;gate is up at near the top too, brilliant show. But I think the over all number 1 for me this year has been ano hi mita hana no namae o bokutachi wa mada shiranai.
    Perhaps this will change once I finish watching Mirai Nikki, which has been excellent so far.

Aye, I've heard great things about Steins;Gate but it didn't orignally appeal to me. I hope to watch it soon though :) I'm watching Mirai Nikki too and love it but cause it's not finished I didn't count it here.

Thomas-G wrote: »
    Hey, some people loved Horizon and it got a second season, can't have been that bad
    Then again, some people loved Ao no Exorcist and I found utterly boring and predictable

Oh I know there's people out there who enjoyed it but personally I thought it was awful. I was still really surprised it got a 2nd season as I'd come accross little to no approval of the show on various anime forums, blogs etc. 95% of the people commenting on each episode on MAL seemed to share a similiar opinion to me - and it barely got a mention on reddit which is a bad thing. I guess all the people buying the DVDs don't use the internet or something :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica would be my favourite of 2011 (I haven't really watched other 2011 animes). But this would take my #1 spot anyway :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Madoka for overall #1.

Carnival Phantasm for fanservice #1 ;)

Not that I actually watched much new anime this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Madoka for overall #1.

Carnival Phantasm for fanservice #1 ;)

Not that I actually watched much new anime this year.

You'll never become the 1337 King of Iron Internet with that attitude!:P

You're probably right though Konata, I'm just trying to be a "I'll give everything a chance, even if everyone says it's ****" kinda guy. It's already led me to a few gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Thomas-G wrote: »
    You'll never become the 1337 King of Iron Internet with that attitude!:P

You're probably right though Konata, I'm just trying to be a "I'll give everything a chance, even if everyone says it's ****" kinda guy. It's already led me to a few gems.
    It's hard when you're reading a few dozen manga, and keeping up with all the doujinshi releases...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

My top 5 for the year would be:

1: Steins;Gate.
    2: Anohana.
    3: Hanasaku Iroha.
    4: Mawaru Penguindrum.
    5: Madoka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hanasaku Iroha! That's another one I need to watch. Too. Much. Anime >_<

• Advertisement
Advertisement