Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linnet (was - Bird ID please.)

Options
  • 02-01-2012 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Sorry about the picture quality, just wondering is this a juvenile redpoll. No red marking on it.

6616023865_c0909067f4_z.jpg
    002 by LouM., on Flickr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Female-type linnet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Any idea on my one from yesterday Traonach?

I did have two, what I would consider to be Redpoll, in today. Linnet would be a new garden record for me I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Traonach wrote: »
    Female-type linnet

I wasnt really sure. Have spent last couple of hours looking up linnet, redpoll and twite(now know not very likely). Have had four or five redpolls last year but they had the typical red on them. I saw two of these birds in the last week at the feeder. Must get a better picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

whyulittle wrote: »

I did have two, what I would consider to be Redpoll, in today. Linnet would be a new garden record for me I think.
    Redpoll.
    Yellow bib with neat little black chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

there is no mistaking redpolls and Linnets especially when they are seen together. Redpolls and small agiles birds not much bigger than tits. Linnets are as big as sparrows. Here's a Linnet in my garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

there is no mistaking redpolls and Linnets

Sure there is - two people have already done it in this thread.

Everything is easy when you know what you're looking for. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

whyulittle wrote: »

Im learning bit by bit. I actually had a stab at Redpoll myself. Mainly because of the dark crown and bib. :D Well linnet is a first for my garden, delighted.

Advertisement