Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview eye contact

Options
  • 02-01-2012 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice here. I have a second interview for a position I'd really like this Thursday, but I'm having some problems with my eye contact during them. I tend to be able to look directly at the interviewer when speaking or listening. However, I find it very hard to break this and usually end up staring at a blank sheet or a random spot for a few seconds just trying to avoid it, which must look kind of bizarre.

Any tips on how to manage this? I know this sounds ridiculous but I can't help but feel like I'm taking a threathening or dominant stance to the interviewer by maintaining constant eye contact and it tends to throw me off a bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I actually know what you mean.

If there are two interviewers I try to look at one of them for a bit, then the other one, then at my CV or whatever is in front of me, then start the cycle again...

I think the most important thing though is to not make a big issue out of this and not let it affect your performance in the interview. As long as you are speaking in a friendly tone and have a friendly look on your face, the interviewer won't think you are a freak.

Advertisement