Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

imac g3 osx update

Options
  • 01-01-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all, im having trouble with an imac g3 400mhz slot loading pc, i got it a while back and i cant connect to my upc router via ethernet cable, this is annoying as i want to upgrade to osx. can anyone out there help me with this, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

you wont need an ethernet cable for that, any version of osx that can be put on that mac has to be installed from a disk, as far as im aware 10.4.9 tiger is the latest it can run but it might just take 10.5 if your lucky but i dont think its capable, so you either have to make do with tiger running slowly or get a new one, you also have to track down a copy of tiger, both probabaly more bother than its worth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Wrong forum but, what version of OSX are you trying to install. Tiger might run on that G3. Although, how much RAM does it have?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TaytoMan69

i have 10.4 on a disk, it didnt recognise disc 1 though, its got 128mb ram but i plan on upgrading it to 768mb or 1gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

going to be a bit hard to do anything with that without spending money to be honest, does it read any disks?

I got Tiger running on an old G4 eMac 700mhz. It was very slow and had a hard time surfing the Web. It wouldn't load Youtube at all. You might better off just upgrading to a new Mac.

• Advertisement

it reads discs fine, it read disc 2 of the install package and a dvd

one of the problems is trying to burn the mac os from a windows computer, i can download them i just have no idea how to burn them onto a disc, its always an odd file type

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

TaytoMan69 wrote: »
    one of the problems is trying to burn the mac os from a windows computer, i can download them i just have no idea how to burn them onto a disc, its always an odd file type

It's because it's a .dmg file. You'd really want to make the discs on a Mac or else make a bootable firewire HDD. I got Tiger running on a G4 887Mhz but it was hardly running so I just ended up putting Ubuntu on it, 10.04 managed to work for me.

would xp run on it?

No, it's the old PPC chip

• Advertisement

i see, then whats the best ubuntu for it, ive heard xubuntu is simple to use but my imac has 128mb ram 400mhz and a 10gb hdd, will it work with that? i plan to upgrade the ram in the future

TaytoMan69 wrote: »
    i see, then whats the best ubuntu for it, ive heard xubuntu is simple to use but my imac has 128mb ram 400mhz and a 10gb hdd, will it work with that? i plan to upgrade the ram in the future
    Check this out, he seemed to get it to work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I75I13GZyIk

yeah but he has way more hard drive ram and power than my imac

Well,Ubuntu is free just give it a go.

that is true

Advertisement