Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoes ; Triathlon v Road v MTB

Options
  • 01-01-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Good evening All,

With the time of year that is in it, I am keen to upgrade my bike to do some more cycling & triathlons. I have a really sweet Specialized Road bike which is quick like lightening, and I am considering buying new shoes.

This is where I am struggling.....I have my eye on a pair of Shimano Road shoe's, but then I found this slick pair of used SIDI MTB's on E-bay and I am torn.

I do want to compete, but I don't think a few extra gram's is going to seriously effect my time. So my question is this;

Will a tri-cycling shoe enhance my performance enough to justify it over the comfort of a good value MTB during the training? Are the Tri-shoes even more comfortable than MTB's ?
    (They are billed as extra light with flaps for drainage etc, I have no idea how relevant this is)

Answers / Insight much appreciated,
    Regards

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

MTB shoes usually have mounting points for 2-bolt recessed cleats, like Shimano SPD (not SPD-SL).

Road and triathlon shoes have mounting points for 3-bolt (triangular pattern usually) cleats which protrude below the sole of the shoe eg: Shimano SPD-SL, LOOK.

Triathlon shoes may have drainage for the post-swim water and be quicker to put on/off in transitions.

MTB cleats and pedals are designed to work well in muddy conditions. The pedals are usually double-sided for easier clipping in.

Road cleats provide a larger and more stable platform for cycling, sprinting etc.

Note that the cleat/pedal systems are incompatible: Shimano SPD-SL cleats won't fit LOOK pedals etc.

Basically, decide if you want to use an MTB or road pedal system and then decide on the make/model. Then pick a compatible shoe. Pedals (new!) usually come with the right cleats and bolts.

Advertisement