Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency dentist over Xmas

Options
  • 01-01-2012 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all

Did anyone use an emergency dentist over the break? And if so, how much were you charged?

Thanks!

Ann

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Will be watching this closely. No mentioning of price and please be aware that calling a dentist, doctor, vet etc in off holidays is going to involve a premium charge.

I was requested to do some out of hours work while being on hols, you can be sure I made sure I was well paid forit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 annieg

What's with all the posturing?!

Just curious as to what dentists charged over the Christmas period for
    emergencies!

Ann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Will be watching this closely. No mentioning of price and please be aware that calling a dentist, doctor, vet etc in off holidays is going to involve a premium charge.

I was requested to do some out of hours work while being on hols, you can be sure I made sure I was well paid forit.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 annieg

Still don't get it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

annieg wrote: »
    What's with all the posturing?!

Just curious as to what dentists charged over the Christmas period for
    emergencies!

Ann

Read the charter.
    :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what thats for, but if you had a leak over Christmas and called a plumber do you think you'd be paying the same rate as you would during the summer?

I'm not a dentist, doctor, vet btw, just stating the commercial facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mingetoad

My surgery opened every day except for Christmas, Stephen's Day and New Year.
    We did not charge any extra fees. Most I know don't.

Mingetoad wrote: »
    My surgery opened every day except for Christmas, Stephen's Day and New Year.
    We did not charge any extra fees. Most I know don't.

I think people who are scheduled to open wont, however the OP used emergency, so i presumed she'd be ringing a dentist asking them to come in and open their surgery etc etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Many "emergencies" can be pre-empted. It's quite common that the people who attend as emergencies have experienced toothache in some form or another in the preceding weeks/months but not bothered to have gotten it investigated.
    The other side of the coin relates to a colleague of mine who was called out by a patient who wanted his gum checked....he had been over-zealous with the toothbrush& scratched it superficially, and wanted the dentist to have a look at it. How this relates to a dental abscess/facial swelling/assault is debatable?!
    Regardless, for out of hours (Christmas, St Stephens', New Years Day), of course there should be a call-out fee similar to a plumber or electrician.
    I don't really see the need to "name and shame" re call-out fees; if a patient has issues with the fee, they should continue ringing around until they find someone whose quote they think reasonable, or equally just wait until the surgery reopens. Pointless asking about price comparisons AFTER the work has been done?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

Why no mentioning of price? Doctors who charge fairly have nothing to hide or to be ashamed about and don't need to fear competition and transparency, the others should be listed here.

tomdublin wrote: »
    Why no mentioning of price? Doctors who charge fairly have nothing to hide or to be ashamed about, the others should be listed here.

Cos any mention of price in this forum descends into the usual circular arguments. They've been done before ad nauseum and are better off avoided.

• Advertisement

Mingetoad wrote: »
    Cos any mention of price in this forum descends into the usual circular arguments. They've been done before ad nauseum and are better off avoided.

Why does mentioning price descend into circular arguments? That makes no sense, sorry. It's perfectly legitimate for people to exchange information about the price of goods and services.

Why does mentioning price descend into circular arguments? That makes no sense, sorry. It's perfectly legitimate for people to exchange information about the price of goods and services.

Not on this forum, unfortunately this is what will happen.. "Irish dentists are rip offs....... Go to Hungary!"

So its not allowed.

You can discuss via PM with other posters but not on the forum.

Not on this forum, unfortunately this is what will happen.. "Irish dentists are rip offs....... Go to Hungary!"

So its not allowed.

You can discuss via PM with other posters but not on the forum.

That sounds like an attempt to curb competition by curtailing price transparency and the dissemination of price information, the very thing that gives the Irish sheltered professions a bad name.

That sounds like an attempt to curb competition by curtailing price transparency and the dissemination of price information, the very thing that gives the Irish sheltered professions a bad name.

It is allowed on other forums on Boards, just not on this one.

I think the competition authority are best placed to ensure price transparency, not an internet forum. An even discussion of price is desirable but ask anybody who read here before the ban on price discussions, the same few characters who felt hard done by in the past popped up with some crazy statements tantamount to libel.
    I initially was on the side of price discussion being allowed (as a dentist I am happy that my patients do not feel overcharged, most say they were surprised by the quote given, in a good way) but when I read back on the older threads there was no even discussion being given.
    The arguments have been discussed at length in the past, I suspect the mods will cut this shortly. Remember pm is possible for any price discussion you would like to have, as with recommendations.

It is allowed on other forums on Boards, just not on this one.

But this happens to be the forum where people interested in dentists and dental treatments go. Not sure why you think you have the right to exercise that kind of self-serving egregious censorship on what are perfectly legal and legitimate topics.

But this happens to be the forum where people interested in dentists and dental treatments go. Not sure why you think you have the right to exercise that kind of self-serving egregious censorship on what are perfectly legal and legitimate topics.

Because the forum charter says so.
    You can discuss treatments, but if you want to discuss pricing take it to PM or Consumer Issues.

And you see the reasons we dont allow pricing talk..

Now please no more, I'd prefer not to have to ban or infract anyone so soon in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dentists all open today so no need for this thread. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement