Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad dog breath!

Options
  • 01-01-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

My lovely 16 year old jack russell absolutely stinks! Its his breath. We have brushed his teeth, gave him dentastix changed his tinned food to no avail. Any owners of senior doggies with any tips!!

*thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

How are his kidneys? If his kidneys are begining to have a hard time and fail then the smell that can come from dogs is ungodly. At his age it is possible, not that it's spelling the end but just that the smell might be coming from him internally rather than his teeth and if that's the case there's nothing you can do as far as I'm aware but pray he doesn't breathe on you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

I'd love to know the answer to this as well. Our dog is only 19 months, his teeth are sparkling white but his breath stinks!! He eats James wellbeloved nuts, has one or 2 markies a day and every little while we'd give him a kong with frozen peanut butter or a rawhide bone.
    Op sorry for hijacking ur thread

In younger dogs I'd be looking at diet. There's also products you can shake onto their dinner to help with breath. You could cut out the markies and peanut butter for a week and see if the breath improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Yeah this stench seems to be coming from his insides!! He is in great health, or at least appears to be. Hes very old at 16. Thanks for the reply.

A vet could do a blood test to see how his kidneys are functioning and would be able to advise you further about diet. Some things like beef can put extra pressure on kidneys trying to filter them where as chicken can be much easier to digest. Have a look at your food, try and avoid foods that have loads of chemicals in them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement