Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

The mystery of Lancaster Island

  • 01-01-2012 7:28pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭


    A few years back I was doing one of those "spin the globe and go there" things on an old globe at home.

    My index finger landed on Lancaster Island, a tiny island in the Pacific, south of French Polynesia. I committed to go there. It's always been in the back of my mind, and over Christmas I took another look at Lancaster Island on the globe, and decided to do something about it.

    So I went to google maps and looked up Lancaster Island.
    -Nothing.

    I pulled a new atlas down off a shelf and looked up 'Lancaster Island'.
    -Nothing.

    I googled "Lancaster Island"
    -Nothing of relevance.

    Has Lancaster Island disappeared?

    It's like some cruel trick of fate.


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid


    maybe it's gone the same way as Atlantis?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower


    later10 wrote: »

    Has Lancaster Island disappeared?


    Found it for you - someone misplaced it.
    http://wikimapia.org/1393611/Lancaster-Island


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir


    Its Area 52 now


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭amacca


    can you get that old globe you originally found it on back

    then use a location or an approx latitude and longitude to see if it was just left out of newer editions or renamed/reclaimed or something


    OR

    what if you've discovered the secret island lair of a new overarching shadowy criminal organization and they are right now tracing your location and all those you have brought this matter to the attention of? :eek:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12


    amacca wrote: »
    can you get that old globe you originally found it on back

    then use a location or an approx latitude and longitude to see if it was just left out of newer editions or renamed/reclaimed or something

    Yes I should have mentioned I tried this when I was home over Christmas.

    I looked up the co-ordinates on google earth; nothing at all. This suggests that Lancaster Island hasn't simply been renamed as something else.

    But it's there on the globe alright, south of French Polynesia. It must be (or have been) reasonably big to be marked & named on a globe.

    Islands that size couldn't just fall into the sea, could they?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1


    later10 wrote: »
    Yes I should have mentioned I tried this when I was home over Christmas.

    I looked up the co-ordinates on google earth; nothing at all. This suggests that Lancaster Island hasn't simply been renamed as something else.

    But it's there on the globe alright, south of French Polynesia. It must be (or have been) reasonably big to be marked & named on a globe.

    Islands that size couldn't just fall into the sea, could they?

    Sometimes mapmakers put false information into maps to ensure that if they are copied and copyright breached they can be identified.

    You might have stumbled onto one of these


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins


    later10 wrote: »
    A few years back I was doing one of those "spin the globe and go there" things on an old globe at home.

    My index finger landed on Lancaster Island, a tiny island in the Pacific, south of French Polynesia. I committed to go there. It's always been in the back of my mind, and over Christmas I took another look at Lancaster Island on the globe, and decided to do something about it.

    So I went to google maps and looked up Lancaster Island.
    -Nothing.

    I pulled a new atlas down off a shelf and looked up 'Lancaster Island'.
    -Nothing.

    I googled "Lancaster Island"
    -Nothing of relevance.

    Has Lancaster Island disappeared?

    It's like some cruel trick of fate.

    It was really the island in "Lost".
    It time and place shifted! :pac:


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo


    Were you high?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭amacca


    Sometimes mapmakers put false information into maps to ensure that if they are copied and copyright breached they can be identified.

    You might have stumbled onto one of these

    I didn't know that....slightly disquieting for my upcoming round the world sailing trip with the woman of my dreams.


    yes honey.....its just due east of here.....a nice big island where we can drop anchor and seek refuge from the worst of that fast approaching tropical storm


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭amacca


    later10 wrote: »
    Yes I should have mentioned I tried this when I was home over Christmas.

    I looked up the co-ordinates on google earth; nothing at all. This suggests that Lancaster Island hasn't simply been renamed as something else.

    But it's there on the globe alright, south of French Polynesia. It must be (or have been) reasonably big to be marked & named on a globe.

    Islands that size couldn't just fall into the sea, could they?

    Is google earth an authoritative source...can it be trusted to be 100% accurate? (genuine question - I would assume it is myself as its compiled from satellite imagery??)


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12


    amacca wrote: »
    Is google earth an authoritative source...can it be trusted to be 100% accurate? (genuine question - I would assume it is myself as its compiled from satellite imagery??)
    I think so; as you said, it's based on satellite images. It should be more authoritative than an old globe.
    El Weirdo wrote: »
    Were you high?
    Hmmm; I had eaten half my bodyweight in turkey at the time... but no I've been thinking about this Lancaster Island spot for years.

    When I meditate in my head, that's the desert island I go to.

    Now it seems to be no more:(:(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone


    The Mystery of Lancaster Island.

    It sounds like an Enid Blyton novel involving smugglers being apprehended by smart upper-middle class English children who have a cook working in their houses.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12


    I always fancied the lesbian tomboy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33,812 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe




  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16


    I hope I'm not the only one to have googled Lancaster Island as a result of reading this


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly


    I can find it fine on google earth. It's beside another island called Potato Island, if you can find that? There doesn't seem to be a lot on it. Rough co-ordinates from google earth - 44 degrees, 20 minutes north, 76 degrees, 2 minutes west.


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL


    There's an area named Neilson (formerly 'Lancaster') Reef just north of the island of Rapa in French Polynesia.


  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid


    Wurly wrote: »
    I can find it fine on google earth. It's beside another island called Potato Island, if you can find that? There doesn't seem to be a lot on it. Rough co-ordinates from google earth - 44 degrees, 20 minutes north, 76 degrees, 2 minutes west.


    I saw this earlier and was just thought Potato Island is a really desperately sad name for an island. If someone told me they were from Potato Island , I would think they were taking the p*ss.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Domo230


    cassid wrote: »
    I saw this earlier and was just thought Potato Island is a really desperately sad name for an island. If someone told me they were from Potato Island , I would think they were taking the p*ss.

    Sure I tell my foreign relatives i'm from potato island all the time.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭WesternZulu


    I think that Ireland should lay claim to this Potato island


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows


    Dam some of those islands in the pacific are tiny. Imagine being on one of those during a massive storm.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything


    Wurly wrote: »
    I can find it fine on google earth. It's beside another island called Potato Island, if you can find that? There doesn't seem to be a lot on it. Rough co-ordinates from google earth - 44 degrees, 20 minutes north, 76 degrees, 2 minutes west.

    They're in the St Lawrence River which is nowhere near French Polynesia unless your a crow. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭old_aussie


    Lancaster Island, aka Gilligan's Island.

    Let me know if you see Gilligan and the Captain or any of the passengers.

    Thurston Howell, lll, will pay a large reward to be rescued.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain


    Just as well, bet the place is a shi!thole.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation


    Its right above potato island ! While your there see if you can find a new breed of potato to bring back. Maybe it will reverse our fortunes just like they did all those years ago... oh wait


  • Registered Users Posts: 25,021 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL


    cassid wrote: »
    I saw this earlier and was just thought Potato Island is a really desperately sad name for an island. If someone told me they were from Potato Island , I would think they were taking the p*ss.

    Yeah, it should be relegated to this league

    It doesn't have a patch on New Ireland


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly




  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12


    Guys - a few people have mentioned Lancaster Island in Canada.

    It's not the island in Canada. This particular Lancaster Island is related to the Austral Islands in the South Pacific, just south of French Polynesia.

    Because I have too much time on my hands, I've just looked it up on another map, this time a French map that was printed in 2011 - Lancaster Island appears on it as per the photograph below.

    http://i40.tinypic.com/m8icz6.jpg

    However, here is the image of the Austral islands from wikipedia. Lancaster Island is not on it, and has been mentioned nowhere on the internet that i have seen. Compare my picture of the 2011 map with this photo:

    http://i40.tinypic.com/xn7sxs.png

    It's also very hard to see anything resembling Lancaster Island on google earth.

    I know there is a rational explanation, I'm just curious as to what it is.


  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney


    Did you mean Norfolk Island?

    Part of the Norfolk & Weighmate archipelago near French Caledonia.

    I think My Name is URL is right and it's just a coral reef. You can see the same thing here as Récif Lancaster (Neilson Reef):
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=cFawvYZlKHoC&pg=PA420&lpg=PA420&dq=recif+lancaster&source=bl&ots=u1U2Lbqou7&sig=a6OR2IGlFsRawzL3STeXSu4oHj0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Jr0BT9OsKdH5sgadiq3LDw&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=recif%20lancaster&f=false

    Doesn't sound like much fun to be honest:
    http://www.anchorageworld.com/content/neilson-reef


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12


    Did you mean Norfolk Island?

    Part of the Norfolk & Weighmate archipelago near French Caledonia.
    No; it's definitely not part of New Caledonia. It's associated with the Austral Islands south of French Polynesia.

    You can see the same thing here as Récif Lancaster (Neilson Reef):
    That looks like it may be the correct location alright; My globe and the wall map I used (see previous post) indicated that there was an island as well as a reef, but I'm guessing the island has since gone under then, since the satellite image indicates only a reef.

    Oh well, have to spin the globe again maybe.

    Next time I'll probably get Lancaster UK. :mad:


Advertisement