Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan almera won't start

Options
  • 01-01-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Went out to the car this morn and wouldn't start, found one of the cabin lights had been left on so tried towing starting and also jump starting but no good when jump starting a screeching noise came from the engine but not like it was going to turn over. Wondering could the starter or alternator be gone ? The cabin lights will turn on but not the central locking etc is it a battery I need ? Or something more serious

All replies appreciated

Comments

If it was the alternator it should start with a jumpstart. Screeching wouldn't be synonymous with a failed starter either imo.

If there isn't enough power to operate the central locking but the interior light comes on and you reckon a light was left on it may well be the battery.

When my battery failed last year the car wouldn't jump start either, so too another car I had a year or so back.

I dunno what the screeching is but it does sound like a battery.

Flash the heads on and see do they dim very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

When you say screeching, maybe it was the tearing sound when the starter doesnt engage properly which could be due to heavily discharged battery.

Id charge the battery and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭futurefarmer

Thanks for the replies so fast thinking it's the battery too, is their a way of charging my battery again or will I need to get a new one ?

Yeah cabin light would have been on all night so definitely drained the battery

Thanks again

If it was ok prior to being drained it should take a charge, connecting it to a running car with jump leads for 10 to 20 minutes prior to cranking might be worth a try, once running a decent spin would go someway to charging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If the battrey is completely discharged it won't start on a tow because the alternator needs a little bit of voltage to excite it to generate juice for the ignition.

• Advertisement

I will try jumping it again And will definitely leave it for 30mins tomorrow and see how I get on battery was good before so hoping to save it,

Yeah Think very lil power is coming from the battery might put a multimeter on and see exactly

Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

As Rover said, leave connected to a running car for 20 minutes or so, and let the alternator from the the other car charge it up. Make sure you are using a decent set of leads though and not a cheap light set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I will try jumping it again And will definitely leave it for 30mins tomorrow and see how I get on battery was good before so hoping to save it,

Yeah Think very lil power is coming from the battery might put a multimeter on and see exactly

Thanks for the replies
    The multimeter is the way to go. With the other engine running, expect to see over 13volts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

You would be better off replacing battery because it will only let you down when you need it most and with the cold weather been bad usually in Jan and Feb I know from similar experience hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

It sounds like the battery alright. Any decent place should be able to charge and then do a load test on the battery which will tell you if its capable of holding the charge.

• Advertisement

Okay so tried giving it a long charge with jump leads to another car about an hour but still not starting it's making more of an effort but just won't

Should any garage be able to charge the battery ? Or will they be pushing me into buying a new one ? Or should I just bite the bullet and get one anyway

Thanks again

Your local auto factor will test your battrey.

Will most garages be able to recharge batteries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

take battery from another car, put in to yours, and see , is that battery problem, or something else.

Okay just checked the battery again with a multimeter it's giving me lil over 12volts since it got over an hour on jump leads still won't start though so looking like it's not the battery, could it be a fuse is gone or is it looking like the starter ?

Think I will have to get it toed to a garage tomorrow, really bad timing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Okay just checked the battery again with a multimeter it's giving me lil over 12volts since it got over an hour on jump leads still won't start though so looking like it's not the battery, could it be a fuse is gone or is it looking like the starter ?

Think I will have to get it toed to a garage tomorrow, really bad timing

It is turning over but not starting or will it not turn over at all.

Was it reading 12v while still connected to the other car? A battery can read 12v while static but can drop below the required cranking power when its loaded..i.e when you try to start the car.

A voltage test won't show battry condition.

Advertisement