Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online courses.. Pros & Cons

Options
  • 01-01-2012 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I am looking to do a course... possibly childcare.. I am still in the early stages, but throughout my research, online courses keep popping up.
    I am not sure of the idea of doing a course online at all.. CMIT seem to be offering an ok range but surely there are pros and cons to for doing this. like you need to be self motivated and good discipline. What happens when you dont understand something... Is there ppl to ask...

The courses are ranging from €300 to over 1000. I am just asking really for other ppls experiences. good bad or indifferent..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Techyo

I have just started the advanced certificate in Management course with CMIT, there is a lot of work in it, but the notes are well written and easy to understand. You also have a tutor online who you can ask questions and discuss your work with. So far im finding it good but it does take a lot of motivation to get back to the studying especially on your own but am getting used to it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

I have found an evening course (which suits as I can still work full time) of the course I am thinking of doing. This will take 2 years of 2 nights a week and 4 hours work experience a week. this Will cost me 600 odd euro per year in just course fees (excluding any extras) Which altogether is not bad but This is only for a fetac level 5. I would have to go back again after this to do a level 6.
    I would definately be worried I would lack the motivation to do an online course though I am pleased to hear you can still ask questions etc.

Going to college full time is not really an offer as I can not take 3 to 4 years out of work...
    They never tell you how hard it is to go back to college. I turned down my course when I left school (around 5 years ago) as I was not sure what I wanted to do and I would not have taken my course seriously.
    it seems to me I am being punished for not following the system...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

O.p. what's CMIT?? Is that some distance learning thing? Oops apologies if I un-intentionally dragged up an old Thread, I didn't mean to, a lot of the Threads in this Forum are old-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

No problem.
    CMIT is the equivalent of a college for distance learning courses. They are a place that provides them.

See http://www.cmit.ie/

Advertisement