Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for 1st Credit Card - Income Requirements

Options
  • 01-01-2012 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been looking into applying for a credit card. I had pretty much decided that the AIB Click Credit Card was the best option and had just handed in my proof of address and ID in order to apply online and I am waiting for them to clear.

However, I just saw on a comparision website that the minimum income required is €25,000. Having just graduated and started my first proper job I would be just under this and I was wondering how strict they are on this? Would it be an automatic no?

I have an AIB current account for a fair few years and there is the equivalent of approx 3 to 4 months wages in it. I also have a decent amount of savings in the Credit Union. I have no loans and no real outgoings as I live at home.

My other option was to get the Bank of Ireland Clear Credit card as it has a lower requirement but is it more difficult to get a credit card from an institution that I have no account with?

Apologies if these sound like stupid questions! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Unless your six months in employment and past probation you are unlikely to get approved for any form of credit.

It's best to wait until you are at least six months before applying as it will show on you credit history that different banks have checked your record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Squall19

What do you want a credit card for?

Its all Visa Debit card's now.

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/card/visa-debit.ashx

You would have to be mad to take a conventional credit card over one of those.

You wont pay that stupid 40 euro stamp duty every year as well.

Aib will be replacing atm card's with Visa Debit next year, but **** them they had years to sort it out, open an account at Ulster bank and get one straight away.

Bank Of Ireland are still scratching there heads trying to get them out, its comical how useless our banks are:D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about the fact that I haven't been working that long would be an issue. Its kind of ironic as I looked into AIB's student mastercard and it looks like I would have qualified for that while in college even though I wouldnt have been in a steady job but now that I am working it's more difficult to get one!

The VISA debit card sounds like the perfect choice. I had never heard of it before. My main reason for wanting a a credit card is for some online shopping and for use abroad. I have a laser card but its frustrating that it is not accepted worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tom Harward

i have a couple cc and 12k debt!

you have been warned :)

Advertisement