Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for self injections

Options
  • 01-01-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Happy New Year All!

I have MS and will be starting DMD's this month.

I'm looking for some useful tips on self injecting, to make it a less painful experience.

Please Help!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Which one are you on?Anyhow, put a few icecubes in a bag ,wrap in a clean tea-towel and press to site for about ten mins beforehand.Then use the alcohol wipe to clean the site and away you go. Did you get an auto-ject?I always took paracetemol as well, to help with the flu-like symptoms,about 30 mins before injecting,that I did close to bed time,to sleep through the worst.

PMing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mushaboom

Will be using the rebismart gadget, least needley looking thing I could find :D

Don't know where to inject first or what to do to minimise pain.

Thanks for your response x

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The drug company normally send a nurse around to teach you how to self inject-you practice on an orange!!!Glass of wine before injecting always helped me...:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That rebismart thing looks pretty fancy.

Where do you give the injections for MS, where on you body I mean, and is it a big dose that takes more than a couple of seconds to administer?

Can't really offer any tips on making them less painful, it is just pot luck in my experience of giving insulin injections, but 90% of the time doing it manually with a pen device I'd never feel a thing going into my belly as long as I was always using a fresh needle. It would all be over in a few seconds anyway.

For the betaferon I used my thighs,upperarms,tummy and rear end. You have to rotate the sites to let them rest and you also map exactly where you inject within the site. I always marked badly and found my arms very very sore, so used to leave them out. The first year,when I used to do all the sites, I was walking down a beach in my togs and found people glaring at my husband,took me a few minutes to cop that they thought he was to blame.:rolleyes:

Injection itself is quick, it was trying to actually press the button to do it that I found hard

• Advertisement

Is it true fatty areas are kinder for injections? If so that could be an advantage for me :p

Depends on if it is under the skin,or deeper.I found that fattier areas were slower to heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Hi,

I'm using the new Rebismart injector for about a year now& it is a lot easier than the old Rebiject. I reckon you'll find out the more comfortable injection sites with time, everyone seems to be different. Make sure the site is clean & moisturised (dont do this too soon before injection) & take two panadol afterwards for the flu like symptoms - although not everyone gets this. I think its best to do it just before bed too - I think anyone who gets the flu symptoms will do this.

A nurse will come out & show you how to use it though. I still get bad site reactions but these dont hurt, they just dont look nice but its a small price to pay. Almost 10 years diagnosed & no relapses -meds must be working!! :-)

Best of luck with it.

Thanks Leogirl, sorry for late response but I had eye surgery and am just getting back to using the computer again.

I will be starting rebif this week, a nurse will call up to me and help me with first shot.

great to hear how well you are! Very inspiring for me anyway, I hope to follow in your footsteps!

On another note, while I was being prepared for surgery the anaesthetist sprayed my hand with a cold spray to numb it before inserting the cannula. Can we not just buy these too? Injecting might not be bad but if it is sore it should be an option right?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

I hope it goes well for you. If its Yvonne that comes out - shes lovely & very very patient & helpful.

I've never tried or been advised to try a numbing spray. To be honest, you wont need it. It can sting a little when first going in but only for a second - honestly. It really isnt sore doing it. My only problem is the flu like symptoms - still get them but if I take the panadol, its fine. The marks arent very pretty but sure its nothing really!

I know you must be anxious, its not a nice thought at all but seriously, its nowhere near as bad as you're expecting & I'm not just saying that. Its a little sting at first - for about 5 seconds then you dont feel it. Massage the area a little before & after to make sure it disperses evenly & you're grand.

The nurse will probably titrate the meds for a week - give you 1/4 then 1/2 then the full amount. Helps you get used to it. You'll find your own sites over time that are easiest & within a month or two, it'll just be a normal thing in your life! It really is worth it - I thought at 26 that it was the end of the world, now I know its manageable & I am probably healthier than ever!!

I hope it all goes well. Let me know how it goes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement