Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal Forum Awards 2011 - Metal Album of the Year

Options
  • 01-01-2012 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

This was fairly clear cut. A three horse race very quickly became a one horse race :).

In joint second place are In Flames with Sounds of a Playground Fading and Decapitated with Carnival is Forever. The winner though is Mastodon with The Hunter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Great to see, if anyone was going to beat one of my favourites for the album of the year (In Flames) then I'm glad it was these guys. Congratulations.

This band are, in my opinion, the future of Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Great to see, if anyone was going to beat one of my favourites for the album of the year (In Flames) then I'm glad it was these guys. Congratulations.

They were the future of metal before they released three mediocre albums in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've heard a few people say this. I've never understood the hype around them myself.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

lord lucan wrote: »
    I've heard a few people say this. I've never understood the hype around them myself.:confused:
    I have to agree there. Don't get me wrong, they've got some great songs but, like Tool, they seem to attract almost religious devotion from some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Big fan of Mastodon they thourouly deserved album of the year, great songs on the Hunter. sounds even better in the car.

I understand why some people don't rate Mastodon as they are weird and have chopped and changes styles many times in the last decade but for the most part they rock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I only recently got into these guys after years of one of my mates saying I should give them a listen, and I have to say I love this album.

While I can understand people not being into them (Malice used Tool as a good example) I think they're definitely one of the best bands of recent years. In fact,them and Gojira are the only two reasonably recent bands that I think stand out from the crowd.

Could be a honeymoon period as I'm still new to them, but I definitely think the Hunter is metal album of the year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Personally, I've found Mastodon very dull to listen to. However, each to their own I suppose.

Malice wrote: »
    I have to agree there. Don't get me wrong, they've got some great songs but, like Tool, they seem to attract almost religious devotion from some people.

I think, for a few reasons, they've managed to attach this label to themselves. For one, they've not really broken their ethos, they have yet to lower their sound in order to appeal to the masses. Second, they're a band of younger men who are getting TV and radio exposure and they're a metal band.

I mean, think about in 10 years time, when Metallica, KISS and Motley Crue etc etc are nearing their late 50s and early 60s (and when Mick Mars is almost 70) - you have to believe there will be someone built up, established, and waiting to take that torch. I'm not saying for a second these bands relate to each other, but in terms of big name Stadium Rock/Metal bands, they are few and far between.

Because they have been in the right place at the right time and got the opportunities other bands have not, I see these guys as a band we will see headlining festivals in 10, 20 years - probably less, but it will be their "anniversary tours" that you look forward too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I think, for a few reasons, they've managed to attach this label to themselves. For one, they've not really broken their ethos, they have yet to lower their sound in order to appeal to the masses. Second, they're a band of younger men who are getting TV and radio exposure and they're a metal band.

I mean, think about in 10 years time, when Metallica, KISS and Motley Crue etc etc are nearing their late 50s and early 60s (and when Mick Mars is almost 70) - you have to believe there will be someone built up, established, and waiting to take that torch. I'm not saying for a second these bands relate to each other, but in terms of big name Stadium Rock/Metal bands, they are few and far between.

Because they have been in the right place at the right time and got the opportunities other bands have not, I see these guys as a band we will see headlining festivals in 10, 20 years - probably less, but it will be their "anniversary tours" that you look forward too

They wont last. A journalist friend of mine interviewed them recently. The touring schedule is absolutely killing them. They are operating on auto-pilot and hence the big drop in quality since Leviathan, the album that broke them. I wouldn't be surprised if they broke up or took a long hiatus quite soon.

Morf wrote: »
    They wont last. A journalist friend of mine interviewed them recently. The touring schedule is absolutely killing them. They are operating on auto-pilot and hence the big drop in quality since Leviathan, the album that broke them. I wouldn't be surprised if they broke up or took a long hiatus quite soon.

Funny, I never detected any of that talking to them, hopefully the Christmas break has done them good for their forthcoming UK tour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

The hunter is a good album, when dillenger were announced for support I decided it was worth fyling over for in April because Mastodon clearly don't want to play here.

I like Mastodon, but if I was asked what the future of metal was I wouldn't bring them near the equation. The Hunter will probably be their most successful album, but in comparison to the rest of their stuff it's probably the most conventional and least ground breaking stuff too?

Maybe not though, I didn't vote for it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

My mate has a cousin in Mastodon (Bill I believe). Sadly I've never drawn any enjoyment from any of their songs but I wish them all the best. Anyway the new In Flames album, in my wholly biased opinion, is a work of genius.

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Anyway the new In Flames album, in my wholly biased opinion, is a work of genius.

I'll support you on that, I am in full support there, it's an incredible album and just completely changed my perspective on In Flames when I saw them this past November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Excellent album, well worthy of the award. :)

I'll support you on that, I am in full support there, it's an incredible album and just completely changed my perspective on In Flames when I saw them this past November.

Glad to hear it :) Where did you see them? I still have my ticket for the Academy gig in 09 that got cancelled... no sign we'll see a makeup this tour cycle either...

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Glad to hear it :) Where did you see them? I still have my ticket for the Academy gig in 09 that got cancelled... no sign we'll see a makeup this tour cycle either...

I had a ticket to see them in Dundee in 09 but that got cancelled, then I went to see them in 2011 in Sonisphere but didn't catch much of their set due to work (interviews etc) so I finally got a full, support, set in Newcastle in 02 Academy in 2011, they were supporting Trivium (heaven forbid) and for me both In Flames and Ghost blew Trivium away

I had a ticket to see them in Dundee in 09 but that got cancelled, then I went to see them in 2011 in Sonisphere but didn't catch much of their set due to work (interviews etc) so I finally got a full, support, set in Newcastle in 02 Academy in 2011, they were supporting Trivium (heaven forbid) and for me both In Flames and Ghost blew Trivium away

From what I've perused over the last few months Trivium seem to have really stepped up their game. In Waves is one of my albums of last year and the live videos show a band much tighter and more consistent than they've ever been. For me, a Trivium/In Flames bill would be pretty perfect (although it's definitely the wrong way around...). Would you say Trivium were less than impressive by their own standards, or are you just not much of a fan?

Advertisement