Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unauthorised debit from credit card

Options
  • 01-01-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

just thought i'd let you know that there was a recent transaction on my credit card saying "skype" for the same amount that I credited my skype account back in October (which appeared on my credit card statement at that time). I didn't authorise this recent transaction and it hasn't appeared in my skype balance so i've deduced that Skype has been hacked somehow. Anyone using skype should check their balance and credit card transactions to make sure they correlate. Skype are dubious but it's the only possibility. I know I didn't order skype credit and I havent' got an automatic charge or subscription on my account...go figure!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Slightly large jump to a conclusion tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

you can only really say that if you have some idea of where my 11.50 is gone...as it stands, my skype account still only has 8.80 on it and i've no subscriptions....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

you can only really say that if you have some idea of where my 11.50 is gone...as it stands, my skype account still only has 8.80 on it and i've no subscriptions....

You would be best finding out exactly what happened as to why unauthorised funds were taken rather than badmouth a company like Skype who have a very good reputation.

First step contact Skype and see if they put through a transaction without your consent.

chris85 wrote: »
    You would be best finding out exactly what happened as to why unauthorised funds were taken rather than badmouth a company like Skype who have a very good reputation.

First step contact Skype and see if they put through a transaction without your consent.

well that shows that you cant read anyway. i did contact skype, note I said "skype are dubious". They can't explain it, there is no record of a transaction on their side so someone is impersonating them on my credit card statement and has stolen 11.50. I was disbelieving as well when the bank read out the transaction, my first thought was that there had to be some logical explanation. Do you think I enjoyed spending my New Year's Day trying to work out where the 11.50 is gone? I'm trying to be helpful here, if you dont appreciate that then you're a bit slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Way to ensure you dont receive help.

"Skype are dubious" - thats not exactly a clear statement that you had already contacted them.

You might want to edit out the rudeness from your previous post to someone who was trying to help, or enjoy the gentle sounds of rolling tumbleweeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

OP You just need to contact your bank and dispute the transaction.

thanks Ghengis, I have.

This thread wasn't about "help" as such, it was to let other people know that this happened and for them to pay attention to their credit cards. I dont believe I "badmouthed" skype in the first place anyway, all I did was tell you what happened so the community would be informed. I actually wouldn't have minded if no one had replied because I've already cancelled my card and have moved on. Would you (anyone other than Ghengis who wasn't so derogatory) have preferred if I hadn't told you and you had got done for what may be an insignificant amount to you but could be a lot to some? The way it has been done is very clever, it doesn't look conspicuous on my card at all, in fact the bank rang me about another transactions on my card (which were kosher) but as a formality read out the skype one.

Anyway, what i wanted to do is done, could someone close this thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

You could also ask did they take your manners while you are at it.

only responding to how i was spoken to in the first place Chris.

Advertisement