Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch Relining?

Options
  • 01-01-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience with this?

I'll soon require a new clutch and found this place igarage.ie

They claim they can reline clutchs with new material? I researched it, and found a number of places in the UK that do it.

Prices start at 25euro, so it's a heck of a lot cheaper then even a spurious part.
    Plus you get to keep your OEM backing plate.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

This used to be very common way back in the old days, along with relining brake shoes, and I believe is still done for large commercials etc. Done properly there is no reason why the friction plate would not be good as new. However, personally I don't think it makes sense to replace just the friction plate, as the pressure plate also wears as does the release bearing. Given the amount of work required to remove the clutch, I always change all three components together.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

corglass wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with this?

I'll soon require a new clutch and found this place igarage.ie

They claim they can reline clutchs with new material? I researched it, and found a number of places in the UK that do it.

Prices start at 25euro, so it's a heck of a lot cheaper then even a spurious part.
    Plus you get to keep your OEM backing plate.

Any opinions?

Thanks

A lot would depend on the condition of you old clutch as to whether it would be suitable for relining,we used relined clutches in commercial vehicles at a place I worked years ago but found we didn’t get the same life span from them as new ones and if you take the expense of changing the clutch into consideration we found it wasn’t really worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Pete67 wrote: »
    This used to be very common way back in the old days, along with relining brake shoes, and I believe is still done for large commercials etc. Done properly there is no reason why the friction plate would not be good as new. However, personally I don't think it makes sense to replace just the friction plate, as the pressure plate also wears as does the release bearing. Given the amount of work required to remove the clutch, I always change all three components together.

jees. I thought this was something new. I'll change the release bearing alright, but is the pressure place usually changed by garages?
    taintabird wrote: »
    A lot would depend on the condition of you old clutch as to whether it would be suitable for relining,we used relined clutches in commercial vehicles at a place I worked years ago but found we didn’t get the same life span from them as new ones and if you take the expense of changing the clutch into consideration we found it wasn’t really worth it

I was thinking the same, but the price difference is huge. ~50 v.s. ~400euro?

Might make sense at that kinda money?

corglass wrote: »
    jees. I thought this was something new. I'll change the release bearing alright, but is the pressure place usually changed by garages?

I was thinking the same, but the price difference is huge. ~50 v.s. ~400euro?

Might make sense at that kinda money?

What type of vehicle are we talking about ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Its very unlikely that your clutch disk will have worn without causing heat or score damage to the pressure plate as well.

All reputable garages change clutches as full kits as the point of full clutch kits is to take the long term cost into consideration.

Labour is by far the main cost of changing a clutch, so if you replace the disk, pressure plate and release bearing at once then you save labour on these parts having to be replaced separately in the future. The cost of a full clutch kit for most standard cars is approx €100-€150. What is the €400 price for?

• Advertisement

Pete67 wrote: »

What we found with the relined units was we were only getting approximately half the life span from them when compared to new units this was in light commercial vehicles. If the old unit had slipped and got hot relineing would be a waste of time as the tension in the damper springs in the disc would be affected as well as the pressure plate. We even found one instance where we had to remove the relined unit straight after the test drive as the dam thing was slipping from the start and that finished it new units ever after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If something seems too good to be true it usually is. We used to use reconditioned clutch kits with relined discs but had to stop due to the failure rate of the recon units. Just not worth the trouble.

Advertisement