Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for a raise

Options
  • 01-01-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of an awkward one here, so I'll give you the back story and those with better knowledge than me on this sort of thing can give their judgement:

After being jobless for 7 months, I started in my current job in February last year, on a 9 month contract in a specific department doing a specific job on very basic salary, 20 days hols etc.

I was told a month outside of my contract ending that I would have to take a sabbatical and come back in Jan as they didn't have enough work for me. Then two days before my contract time was up, I was asked to stay on and work in a different department.

I did so, as I love my job and the company that I work for and the people, including management are absolutely lovely, and I am very lucky in that respect.

I have been stretched across 3 different departments for the last two months, and am doing a 4 week term in one of the other departments now as it is their busiest time and I am glad to help.

However, I need to approach the awkward subject of finding out if I'm permanent or on another contract or what, and also asking for more money.

When I started, I had little to no experience in the area in which I now work, but after a year, I have gone above and beyond the requirements of my job several times, and although I get thanks for it, I'm still on f-all money and I'm finding it hard to get by as I want to move out but can't afford a rent on the money I'm currently on.

I wouldn't be talking much, maybe just an extra grand or two on my salary but I think for the work I do, I am not getting paid near enough.

So, this being my first serious job, I haven't had to do this before. I've been a bit messed around in terms of my contract - so how do I approach the MD about permanency and more money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Hi all,

Bit of an awkward one here, so I'll give you the back story and those with better knowledge than me on this sort of thing can give their judgement:

After being jobless for 7 months, I started in my current job in February last year, on a 9 month contract in a specific department doing a specific job on very basic salary, 20 days hols etc.

I was told a month outside of my contract ending that I would have to take a sabbatical and come back in Jan as they didn't have enough work for me. Then two days before my contract time was up, I was asked to stay on and work in a different department.

I did so, as I love my job and the company that I work for and the people, including management are absolutely lovely, and I am very lucky in that respect.

I have been stretched across 3 different departments for the last two months, and am doing a 4 week term in one of the other departments now as it is their busiest time and I am glad to help.

However, I need to approach the awkward subject of finding out if I'm permanent or on another contract or what, and also asking for more money.

When I started, I had little to no experience in the area in which I now work, but after a year, I have gone above and beyond the requirements of my job several times, and although I get thanks for it, I'm still on f-all money and I'm finding it hard to get by as I want to move out but can't afford a rent on the money I'm currently on.

I wouldn't be talking much, maybe just an extra grand or two on my salary but I think for the work I do, I am not getting paid near enough.

So, this being my first serious job, I haven't had to do this before. I've been a bit messed around in terms of my contract - so how do I approach the MD about permanency and more money?

Your contract status and pay you would need to take up with your line manager who you would normally be answering to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I've been a bit messed around in terms of my contract - so how do I approach the MD about permanency and more money?

You've skipped a few ranks. Go to your direct manager. Your team leader would not have any power here but they'll tell you who to talk to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You've skipped a few ranks. Go to your direct manager. Your team leader would not have any power here but they'll tell you who to talk to

Our MD handles all the hiring and firing in our company- it's fairly small ~40 people or so. I've already discussed this with my supervisor and manager and they have both said I'll have to talk to the MD about it.

My question is, how do I ask for more money and enquire into the status of my contract without sounding like I'm moaning/demanding more money? My role has completely changed and I know I would be on better money anywhere else but I love the job and don't want to leave the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think you would have to be professional and direct about it, but non-confrontational. Any reasonable MD would not have a problem with that.

Have a chat with the MD saying you would like to clarify where you stand in terms of contract. And then, assuming all is going well, put forward your case for an increase, listing what you have above.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have found that the best time to ask for a raise in a company is when you have another contract to sign somewhere else. The market pays what it want's, fairness tends not to come into the equation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement