Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel shake rattle..

Options
  • 01-01-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

Im just buying my first diesel for a family member so am unfamiliar with them. Its an 08 passat 2l tdi common rail. Can I confirm that all diesels vibrate at idle a little when you put your hand on the block. How much vibration and noise is normal and how do you distinguish this from some kind of failure. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Hello , happy new Year,

i am one of the least able to advise you in depth on this.
    But i am up early, yes all diesels vibrate, some more so than others . generally the newer the design the better they are.

Nobody could advise you, a rookie ,as to how to differentiate between the usual diesel noise and any ominous noise.

i imagine if the car ,an 08 is being bought from a garage , it will be Ok

i suggest you read the many threads ,on here ,and elsewhere (google) on problems with Passats, especially where one has high mileage.

Regards ,Rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

lomb wrote: »
    Im just buying my first diesel for a family member so am unfamiliar with them. Its an 08 passat 2l tdi common rail. Can I confirm that all diesels vibrate at idle a little when you put your hand on the block. How much vibration and noise is normal and how do you distinguish this from some kind of failure. Thanks

Even most petrol engine vibrate if you put your hand on the block but yes diesels do vibrate a lot more. As for if your vibration is normal or not....a bit impossible to tell on the interweb unfortunately.

As for the car your looking at, the 08 passat 2.0tdi should be a PD engine, not a common rail. I'd suggest plenty of research in owning and running a diesel to see if it actually fits your needs and make yourself aware of the specific issues on the b6 passats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Take a good reputable mechanic to see the vehicle. For the money you're spending it will be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭swhyte027

Personally I'd stay well clear of that Passat just read all the treads hear.there Notting but trouble and ul keep pumping money into it.just read up on it and you shall c what everyone means

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I believe it is common rail. It's quieter than a pd engine and its a UK import. I believe they got common rail earlier.is the cr engine better? The passat is only for a year next get an 09 a4 , much nicer car looks and interior wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I believe it is common rail. It's quieter than a pd engine and its a UK import. I believe they got common rail earlier.is the cr engine better? The passat is only for a year next get an 09 a4 , much nicer car looks and interior wise.

Why not just wait a bit and go straight for the Audi? You'll lose a fortune in depreciation otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If you don't know how much a diesel should be vibrating how do you know that its quieter then a PD engine?:confused:

Anyway, why bother loosing money buying the passat then if its only for a year? Just wait and buy the a4 in a few months/year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

CR did not arrive until late 08. What is the motor tax rate on it op.

Outputting 153G carbon on V5. Its def 140bhp 2.0tdi.
    I asked him to start an 06 2.0tdi he had to gauge vibration, that vibrated too about same but was noisier. Im familiar with cars just not diesels. There is no vibration in the cabin or on the clutch pedal(ie no dodgy dmf), no noises when ragging it and turbo picks up smoothly, no noises over speedbumps and no evidence of crash damage.
    I do think its CR as it advertised as such and also see here on an ausssy forumhttp://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f27/common-rail-diesel-14249.html

Car isnt for me, anyway always need something to look forward to otherwise lifes no fun.. In fairness the A4 is light years ahead in feel and looks, maybe Im just partial to audi though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Have a look here and check the emissions..

http://www.energy.eu/car-co2-emissions/volkswagen.php

• Advertisement

Not listed there. I have the engine type written down Its a CBA, and Ive looked it up on web, its def common rail .

Advertisement