Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

redundancy mess

Options
  • 01-01-2012 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello....really hope someone would be able to help me

I have worked in a hotel as a waitress for 5 years...the last two years the hotel has been out of business for two or three months after Christmas...the last two times this happened i have stayed employed by the hotel and sometimes got shifts in our sister hotel...two weeks on a shift i was not on our general manager came into the staff room and told the staff that we were being let go and would be receiving P45's after Christmas and we may or may not be hired back when we re-open in the end of feb.

Here comes my problem, i am the longest serving member of staff...so when he finally got around to talking to me...the day of our last shift, he told me the same spiel...we will be dis employed may come back end of feb after management discusses it...bla bla...i then asked about my redundancy [you should of seen his face] after a long discussion about the length of time iv worked there [iv been there 5, entitled to redundancy after two] so once he realised that i was entitled he has completely changed his tune...im now being dis employed for under four weeks and he is gonna give me a shift in the sister hotel [which im not contracted to work in] at the end of jan. i will then receive minimal shifts until the hotel reopens [ive never had set hours, or minim hours].... being dis employed for under 4 weeks means i wont get redundancy....which is what i want...dont wanna work there again the way he treats ppl....just wondering can he do this...i am the only waitress that will not be receiving a p45 and its because im the only one entitled to redundancy.
    Any advice would be appreciated it xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭claire983

This can be a bit tricky to explain on this but i would advise you to go to Citizens Advice.
    Under no circumstances should you go to work in sister hotel as this can effect getting a redundancy payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup, Citizen's Information or perhaps an employment lawyer.

Sounds to me like you'd have a case for getting paid out - and the manager may well know it, but have been hoping that you wouldn't.

You need good quality advice, though. And it may be that the situation can be resolved by something as simple as one lawyer's letter to the HR department or manager.

Advertisement