Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost to Move from 2010 to another 2010??

Options
  • 31-12-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a 2010 Skoda Octavia with 49k on the clock which I have owned since May 2010 as I bought new.

A neighbour has his name down on a January 2012 Superb and will be leaving in his 2010 Superb next week to the garage when collecting the new car. He has owned his 2010 since Jan 2010 and has 36k on the clock and has looked after it like a new born baby!!!

I only heard about this upgrade today and though that I might look at buying his 2010 Superb by trading in my 2010 Octavia. (By the way - mine is a 1.6 and his 2010 is a 1.9)

As a rough guideline .... anyone know what kind money would I have to put with it in the garage to purchase same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is yours diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Masala

Sorry Colm... YES we are both Diesel.

I dont suppose you know how much its costing him to change?

new shape superbs are in demand, moreso than Octavias. Is his a Greenline model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Would it be worth the hassle/expense? Slightly bigger car yes but same brand, same year, same fuel type, same tax band(I think).

Doesn't seem worth it to me personally.

Colm... his 2010 is already the new shape and I believe he is getting the 'exact same car -except newer'!!

His 2010 has Alloys etc. It was not the Greenline.

• Advertisement

Nissan....

I have had 4 x Octavia and never was able financailly to get up to the Superb car. I have always like to have one and so this might be my 'chance' !!

To be honest... you are right about the hassle!!! I am not looking at spending thousands on such a move and so rather than get a Salesman excited in teh garage - I wanted to see if I could 'suss' out possible upgrade costs without getting any balls rolling!!

My guess is around €5500

WhOOAAAA Colm!!!! Wow that is serious monies!!!

Glad I didn't make that call to the Garage yet!!

I could buy a noce run-around for the wife for that !! And end up with 2 cars for the price of one!!

Thanks for the comments

The most cost effective way to change would be to buy it off your neighbour and sell your own car, otherwise it's no different than buying any other 2010 Superb (admittedly your neighbours has known history) off a dealer with your 2010 Octavia as a trade in.

Rover....

Good advice... but the deed is done between neighbour and garage!! I only heard about it today second-hand.

• Advertisement

The only other option might be to buy it trade sale off the garage and try to sell your own Octavia, probably a non runner as the garage will have very little to do to the superb to retail it and it is quite sellable too so not really an option now that I type it out :o Not to mention you might not want to sell your Octy privately.

It may be slightly less but thats the ballpark

example

you have a silver 10 Octavia and your wife wants a red one, you see a 10 reg one with the same mileage

garage needs to:
    cover operational costs
    prepare your trade in
    prepare the car they're selling
    make profit
    cover potential problems

Even in a situation where all things are equal, you wouldnt be doing a straight swap if you know what i mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It may be slightly less but thats the ballpark

example

you have a silver 10 Octavia and your wife wants a red one, you see a 10 reg one with the same mileage

garage needs to:
    cover operational costs
    prepare your trade in
    prepare the car they're selling
    make profit
    cover potential problems

Even in a situation where all things are equal, you wouldnt be doing a straight swap if you know what i mean.

and charge 23% vat on profit made

Tigger wrote: »
    and charge 23% vat on profit made

The VAT would be on the entire cost to change, not just on the profit :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    The VAT would be on the entire cost to change, not just on the profit :)

the profit is the cost to change
    but i get where its confusing
    cost to change = dealers gross profit (vatable)

..... the dealer will incurr costs though, the two cars will no doubt be serviced and valeted :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    ..... the dealer will incurr costs though, the two cars will no doubt be serviced and valeted :)

hence gross profit is vattable but net profit (after servicing vat etc) is profit

the profit is the cost to change
    but i get where its confusing
    cost to change = dealers gross profit (vatable)
    hence gross profit is vattable but net profit (after servicing vat etc) is profit

....so the profit is the cost to change which is the dealers gross profit which of course is VATable but net profit after VAT etc is profit :pac:

Advertisement