Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Physics, help!

Options
  • 31-12-2011 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

If two men pull on an elastic cable in opposite directions with equal force of 500N. Cable diameter is 4cm. What is the stress on cable?

I'm confused as to what the force acting on the cable is, I know you get the stress with force divided by the area.

Help getting past this before 2011 ends appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

DEVEREUX wrote: »
    If two men pull on an elastic cable in opposite directions with equal force of 500N. Cable diameter is 4cm. What is the stress on cable?

I'm confused as to what the force acting on the cable is, I know you get the stress with force divided by the area.

Help getting past this before 2011 ends appreciated:)

Strictly speaking, the net force acting on the cable is 0 N. But what you are looking for is the stress-inducing force. In this case, it is 500N, as the scenario is equivalent to one man pulling on an elastic cable with a force of 500N, with the other end of the cable fixed to an immovable wall.

In general, if F_1 is the force applied by one man, and F_2 is the force applied by the other, in the opposite direction, then the stress-inducing force is the smaller of the two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you check what units stress is measured in it should give you a clue.

Advertisement