Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car abroad

Options
  • 31-12-2011 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi.

I currently live in Asia but may be returning to the auld sod in the coming year. I would like to bring a car back to Ireland but I am not sure how to go about it. I cannot buy a car here as they are far too expensive. What i was thinking was that I would buy a car on mainland Europe or in the UK about 6 months before I come back and then bring it home with me. I understand the car has to be at least 3 months old and have 3000km on the clock. If I buy a car in somewhere like Germany (I am thinking a VW Golf) I would easily put up 3000 doing a bit of touring and driving back to Ireland.

Questions:

Where is the cheapest place in Europe to buy a VW Golf.

Can I bring in a car from the UK or elsewhere and be exempt from VRT although my address for the past number of years has been in Asia.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

Legislation

1.4 Trendline in Germany: from 16975€ Linky
    1.4 Trendline in Latvia: from 14965€ Linky
    Golf S in UK: from 15850£ Linky

Reason why I included Latvia is that I'm a Latvian and can help with purchase. Golf seems to be cheap over there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bear in mind Europe is left hand drive.

you will have to had lived in the country, owned the car there etc. The free VRT is not just a welcome present to people coming into the country

Advertisement