Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slavonian Grebe (was - Help with Grebe ID please..)

Options
  • 31-12-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Help needed on this Grebe please..

I know that this is a Little Grebe, taken at ECNR, Newcastle during the week..

lg2su.jpg

lg3bk.jpg

But this guy has me puzzled...I know it is a Grebe, but what type please,..bad photo, taken from a great distance and cropped like mad..Tacumshin 2 weeks ago..

70110746.jpg

sg2q.jpg

sg3ge.jpg

Thanks, Paul..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Slavonian grebe.
    Smallish chunky size with shortish bill rules out Great crested grebe and the much rarer Red necked grebe.
    Slavonian grebe winter plumage (uncommon winter visitor) is easily confused with the rare winter visitor Black necked grebe. In Slav grebe on the head the black reaches eye level and not below. In black necked grebe the black reaches below eye level and there in a prominent bulge behind the eye. Here's a photo of winter black necked grebe:
    http://www.irishbirding.com/categories/sighting29850/6367_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Thanks Traonach, I did suspect that it was a Slavonian Grebe because of the white patch on the head but wasn't sure.

Always good to have it confirmed by the experts here, thanks again.

Another one to tick off the list :)

Paul..

Advertisement