Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTML codes

Options
  • 31-12-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Im trying to create a website and i want to add links to other sites but want my web page to stay open while they click on the other link. a href wont work with that ??

I also want people to be able to upload videos and links to my page. What kind of codes will i need for that? Any help would be great !
    Tagged:

Comments

Try <a target="_blank"... to open a new browser window

The video uploads will be a bigger deal - probably better off using a CMS like wordpress and a plugin to do that. Taking it on yourself could be challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭martin g

Try <a target="_blank"... to open a new browser window

The video uploads will be a bigger deal - probably better off using a CMS like wordpress and a plugin to do that. Taking it on yourself could be challenging.

I tried that <a target="_blank" and didnt work for me, nay other suggestions?

I was thinking of going the wordpress route but i taught id give it a try myself to see how difficult it would be...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

martin g wrote: »
    I tried that <a target="_blank" and didnt work for me, nay other suggestions?

My suggestion would be that you are doing something wrong. Anchor tags work if they are implemented correctly. If they aren't working then you have done something wrong. Off hand I would think it is likely that there is some syntax error in your code.

It should look like this:
    <a href="http:www.yourlink.com" target="_blank">Blah Blah Blah</a>

Or your perhaps your link/file path is wrong. If you are linking to a file then you make sure you familiarise yourself with relative and absolute file paths.

I can't think of any other reason why you would be having a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Actually, this article does a better job at explaining absolute/ relative paths. One other thing, make sure to validate your code. This will pick up any syntax errors you have on your page. So, for example, if you put <a href="" </a> instead of <a href=""> </a> then it will pick this up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

martin g wrote: »
    Im trying to create a website and i want to add links to other sites but want my web page to stay open while they click on the other link. a href wont work with that ??
    http://bit.ly/uy9JkO
    I also want people to be able to upload videos and links to my page. What kind of codes will i need for that? Any help would be great !
    To be able to store them you will need to know a server side programming language like PHP but from the HTML side its just a simple form.

PHP File Upload

• Advertisement
Advertisement