Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds singing in middle of night!

Options
  • 31-12-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just looking for some insight - over the last week or two I've noticed birdsong at around 1 in the morning, and last night arrived home at 3.30am to hear it. I live in Waterford city, in a quiet enough area but city nonetheless. I've never heard this in all my years living here, it's really loud too - is it the mild weather??
    I can't identify it, possibly blackbirds but can't see any sign of anyone in the pitch black!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

The starlings and magpies are wide awake here around 2am recently :)

Lets hope its a good sign :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

littlecat wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Just looking for some insight - over the last week or two I've noticed birdsong at around 1 in the morning, and last night arrived home at 3.30am to hear it. I live in Waterford city, in a quiet enough area but city nonetheless. I've never heard this in all my years living here, it's really loud too - is it the mild weather??
    I can't identify it, possibly blackbirds but can't see any sign of anyone in the pitch black!

Song Thrushes will sing through the night at the moment. Other birds such as Robins, Wrens and (later) Blackbirds will sing near streetlights, thinking it is already dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kariad

I live in County Derry and I have recently noticed birds singing between 11.00 p.m. and till at least 3.00 a.m. Last night they were so noisy they kept me awake. I don't remember every hearing birds singing this late before. I live in a little village in the country so we don't have a lot of traffic noise during the day so I do hear them singing during the day as well. We do have some bright street lamps so I'm not sure if these are causing problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Kariad wrote: »
    I live in County Derry and I have recently noticed birds singing between 11.00 p.m. and till at least 3.00 a.m. Last night they were so noisy they kept me awake. I don't remember every hearing birds singing this late before. I live in a little village in the country so we don't have a lot of traffic noise during the day so I do hear them singing during the day as well. We do have some bright street lamps so I'm not sure if these are causing problems.

I live in Dublin City Centre, and I've noticed birds singing at night, and even seen a few out flying around late at night. This is just recently. The back of my house is very dark, and since around Christmas, there's been birds singing late at night. They normally don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Ive heard the main reason that birds sing at night time is because of street lighting. The lights confuse the birds into thinking its dawn. Ive never noticed birds singing at night time out in the middle of the countryside with no street lighting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Advertisement