Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Drink Aware ads bother anyone else ?

Options
  • 31-12-2011 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Happy New year folks - does anyone else get irked by the drink aware ads ? Take a wee gander at this, it's something I wrote on alcohol consumption; specifically the science of getting wasted. It's tongue in cheek but the facts are there

<snip>

Essentially, the whole 'standard drink' idea seems to be a little pie in the sky. Could these be, dare I say it, because drinkaware.ie is MEAS, an alcohol industry group who might downplay things a little ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Don't click the link, it's a virus! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drg85

Er no.. it's a link to <snip>.blogspot.com actually ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

TheZohan wrote: »
    Don't click the link, it's a virus! :eek:
    Thanks Zohan. I don't want to catch computer AIDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Its not a virus. Pretty good blog as it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm confuddled!

Is it a smelly virus or a tasty blog?

/confused

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yahew wrote: »
    Its not a virus. Pretty good blog as it happens.
    If it's that good, he/she wouldn't need to be spamming it here, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm normally locked out of my head when they come on, and as i'm such a merry/happy drunk they don't bother me in the slightest OP.

Hic.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

drg85 wrote: »
    Essentially, the whole 'standard drink' idea seems to be a little pie in the sky. Could these be, dare I say it, because drinkaware.ie is MEAS, an alcohol industry group who might downplay things a little ?

If you going to have a rule for 4 million people is is by very definition average.

People are stupid, it has to be reduced to a soundbite which can be driven into their heads :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I'm confuddled!

Is it a smelly virus or a tasty blog?

/confused

It's a virus, a very clever one. Most anti-virus software won't catch it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Only in the reasons why they have to exist in the first place - the fact that saddos think it cool to get completely bladdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

drg85 wrote: »
    Happy New year folks - does anyone else get irked by the drink aware ads ?

Happy New Year to you too. No, I don't mind the ads at all.

I don't find any problem with the concept of a standard drink. That a "standard drink" should have very different effects on different people is simply stating the obvious. I am not so absorbed with my own intellect as to feel that the variations in alcohol content in different (but similar) beverages makes the idea of a standard drink invalid. The concept of a standard drink is quite helpful, even if it is only useful as an approximation.

By contrast I found your article full of heat, but it shed very little light. I found it to be anything but useful, and I would hate to think that the folks at Drinkaware.ie would ever try running an ad campaign which included so much inconsequential information.

Cheers,

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

TheZohan wrote: »
    It's a virus, a very clever one. Most anti-virus software won't catch it.

Aw JESUS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I am sure that nobody would argue that the drink aware should change their campaign, however the science is agin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't blogspam here.
    Link removed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement