Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus 05 zetec 1.4l petrol timing belt

Options
  • 31-12-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering after how many km does it need to be replaced ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

160,000 km or 8 years, whichever comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

km79 wrote: »
    Just wondering after how many km does it need to be replaced ?

according to the autodata every100000 or 10 years personaly i would like to have it checked sooner.

taintabird wrote: »
    according to the autodata every100000 or 10 years personaly i would like to have it checked sooner.

Autodata quotes intervals in miles so 100,000 miles = 160,000 km.

The 10 year interval was for the older model Focus, the newer model has an 8 year interval.

They will do the 160,000km no problem at all in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's nearly 7 yrs old now and 120k done. Might just get it replaced next service to be safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

km79 wrote: »
    It's nearly 7 yrs old now and 120k done. Might just get it replaced next service to be safe

Nice to see someone considering preventiative maintenance rather then asking how long they can get away without doing something thats neeed.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Im actually in the same boat, 01 focus , 42,000 miles done, think i might get the timing belt done this year just for peace of mind etc.

I suppose unless the OP plans on changing the car within the next year then there is nothing really to be gained by delaying changing the belt. They will have to pay the cost of the job sooner or later anyway so you may as well be on the safe side.

Having said that if it was my own car or a customer's car I would have no problem leaving it until 2013. They are a good reliable belt setup that very rarely give any problems. Unlike say a Renault 16v where doing it a bit early is a very good idea.

Im actually in the same boat, 01 focus , 42,000 miles done, think i might get the timing belt done this year just for peace of mind etc.

You definitely should get it done. 11 years on a timing belt is asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

Autodata quotes intervals in miles so 100,000 miles = 160,000 km.

The 10 year interval was for the older model Focus, the newer model has an 8 year interval.

They will do the 160,000km no problem at all in my experience.

That’s correct but it is recommended to check the belt at regular intervals’
    Dont have much to do with petrol cars to be honest as its mainly diesels we deal with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

taintabird wrote: »
    That’s correct but it is recommended to check the belt at regular intervals’
    Dont have much to do with petrol cars to be honest as its mainly diesels we deal with

No difference between petrol and diesel when it comes to timing belts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement