Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brindle boxer walking on 3 paws???

Options
  • 31-12-2011 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Can anyone please advise, I noticed my boxer is walking around with her right rear paw raised. However, when she runs she runs on all fours, so it is load bearing. I especially noticed this recently after a long woodlands walk.

Did I read somewhere that this breed suffer from congenital hip problems?

Is there any treatment I can get to help her???

Thanks in advance,

T
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Our boxer may have the same problem I believe.

He had a hip replaced two years ago but we noticed he'd limp on one of his front legs, some days really bad, others not so. However, just before Christmas he was unable to put any sort of pressure on his front paw.

We took him to the vets who gave him a painkiller. Everything was fine the next morning, the vet now believes it's OCD - the same as hip dysplasia but in his elbow.

Due to holidays he couldn't do an x-ray until after Christmas to confirm. In the meantime he's been ordered to rest, rest and more rest with only short 5 minute walks.

He also said it could have been a grain of sand that got under the skin and stuck in the joint for a bit.

If it is OCD then you will either need to operate and replace elbow or your dog will be on expensive medication every day for the rest of it's life. I hope your dog's insured!

As we've already been through the operation we are most reluctant to go through that hell again but he does love his walks so we may have to.

Go see your vet OP. They'll know what to do. Hope it's something trivial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I would bring it to the vet and have it checked out. It may not be serious like a torn or stone imbedded in the skin. But if it is serious then they will advise as to the best course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

Yep, I have a trip to the vet planned for Tuesday. Hopefully, we'll know more then.

Happy New Year,

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Probably a cruciate ligament knee injury, I have read that hip problems rarely cause sudden lameness in dogs. If it is a cruciate injury, it's really important that you keep her on restricted exercise until you get diagnosed by the vet, so no running around or long walks etc. This is a good idea no matter what it is, as even a soft tissue injury needs rest to heal.

If it is the cruciate, you can try conservative management, but in a dog her size, it will probably need an operation in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

Thanks Blueprint, I have her indoors, so no exercise to speak of. Roll on Tues when the vet re-opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Could be her cruciate, if so, I hope you have pet insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

It has the tell tale signs of carrying while walking and load bearing while running.

Did you have a good look at her pads to make sure there is no damage or debris stuck in there??

Advertisement