Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GATSO/Speed Camera Vans - do yours move location?

Options
  • 31-12-2011 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭

The ones up here always sit in the same positions on the same roads.

Now I know that they are to be on roads where deaths have occurred in the past, but at last move location along the road!

I mean ours never move from the same spots. Never. So it makes it very predictable when you have to slow down.

What about your local vans? Do they move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yep, there's two spots on the same road on my daily route to work, both within 500 meters. The road it's on is maybe 3 miles designated as a black spot, but i have never seen the van anywhere else on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally within each legitimate enforcement zone there's only a very small number of spots where its actually safe to park the van; this is why they appear in the same place constantly.

Some of the ones where the enforcement zone is on a nice new road where the "supporting" figures refer to a realigned one, there are hundreds of spots where they can park them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

guiness factory quay - Dublin !

if not on the left hand side as you drive down then one the right hand side behind a truck !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They are in the same spots now I doubt very much that they catch anyone speeding (perhaps non-locals only). I suppose that this has served the purpose for that stretch i.e. people are driving slower, but it means that people may be more likely to speed further on up the road because they know that they are now past the camera.

I live on a main road (rural), and some of the cars that go past my house are travelling at speeds I would estimate up to 70mph or 80mph. Its a 50mph road. Frightening speeds if you consider a child may run out from a house. I do wish these vans would move around more and then some if these idiots might be caught and punished. There are spots on my road where they could sit easily without causing a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It'd be great if the "supporting deaths" weren't used dodgily for handy spots for the lads. The van at Loughaderra on the N25 just short of Castlemartyr, for example, which appears to be there because of a single crash nearby a few years previous; caused not by speeding, but by a drunk driver. Straight, clear road. But nothing anywhere near the death-trap black spot junction a few miles back at the Two Mile Inn, because there's no handy parking spaces for the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

They move between 2 or 3 spots on a two mile straight on the N2 beside us. One of the spots is about 3 metres from a junction. Makes it fun sitting at the edge of the hard shoulder trying to get out of the junction. At least everyone flashes round here. Haven't seen one yet where I haven't been flashed beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Cork side of Fermoy. 2 spots within 500 mtrs. or so of each other. ( Black spots of course :rolleyes: ) Strangely enough I have not seen a van there since the limit was raised from 80kph to 100kph. I suppose it is not dangerous any more now LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

vetstu wrote: »
    One of the spots is about 3 metres from a junction. Makes it fun sitting at the edge of the hard shoulder trying to get out of the junction.
    Report them for inconsiderate parking

AFAIK you cannot park in a manner which obstructs the view at a junction or turn

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Report them for inconsiderate parking

AFAIK you cannot park in a manner which obstructs the view at a junction or turn

3M from a junction isn't just "inconsiderate", its downright illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

vetstu wrote: »
    They move between 2 or 3 spots on a two mile straight on the N2 beside us. One of the spots is about 3 metres from a junction. Makes it fun sitting at the edge of the hard shoulder trying to get out of the junction. At least everyone flashes round here. Haven't seen one yet where I haven't been flashed beforehand.

Kilmoon cross I assume? N2 is like a magnet to them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

MugMugs wrote: »
    Kilmoon cross I assume? N2 is like a magnet to them!

No, northern side Carrickmacross. Have seen them a few times at Kilmoon though, just as you come around the bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

On the Westport to Castlebar road there has been a gatso there more and more over the past few weeks.

Advertisement