Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1996 - 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Options
  • 31-12-2011 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

I'm looking to buy a motor in Oz with a budget of around $5k. The price of motors down there is a bit mental, but by the looks of things I could pull a
    96-97 Jeep Grand Cherokee for around that money.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2

I know they are a 4L beast of a thing, but the 2 reasons I am looking at them are because:

a) I will be covering some serious mileage through Australian terrain which I think a 4WD will probably be handy for.

b) There is a lot of space in them which I need for hauling around diving gear and moving cities at some stage.

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with these?. Any advice that you can offer?. From what I hear they are American built shite or as someone explained to me "a dunkle of a yoke" which has kinda made me have second thoughts.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I've only ever heard them described as MUCK.

What about a UTE, Ford or Holden.

Stay away from cheap Chinese stuff as the reports I've hard have been poor to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Toyota Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol, Mitsubishi Pajaro or Isuzu Trooper would be a safer bet.

I'm told there is a saying in Oz "Any car will take you in to the bush but a Land Cruiser will take you back home again"

Make of it what you want. From talking to a guy on another forum who lives there he always says intergalactic mileage is common and anything local or Japanese can be repaired easily due to easy to source parts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Haven't you ever seen the movie 'Breakdown'? Just asking for trouble.

Haven't you ever seen the movie 'Breakdown'? Just asking for trouble.

You only remember that as it was on TV last night :p

Try Wolf Creek for GREAT EFFECT with the OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Don't know about OZ, but wouldn't touch a Jeep in IRL with a bargepole.

Rubish design, cramped interior and dealer only for many parts, with huge delays.

Pass IMHO.

Advertisement