Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interrail 2012

Options
  • 31-12-2011 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. My wife and I are starting to plan our interrail trip for a month in July/August 2012. The big difference with us is that we will be travelling with our son - who will still be just under 2 years old when we go!!

We'll be camping most of the way and will avoid night trains because of the little one. Obviously partying will be fairly limited as well due to babysitting responsibilities - but we're going for the whole experience, meeting people, seeing the sights, etc.

Our planned route at the mo is:

Milan (coz we can get there in one day from London) - Rome - Sorrento (for a beach and Pompeii) - Florence - Venice - Lake Bled - Salzburg - Cesky Krumlov (Czech) - Vienna - Krakow

It probably seems like a lot of places, but we only want to travel for a maximum of 5 hours at a time because of the little one. We'll probably spend 2/3 nights in each place - but are going to keep it flexible so we can easily change our minds along the way.

Any thoughts from anyone, and especially any recommendations on campsites in these places?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have often thought about this, do you have to be under a certain age to qualify for the reduced rate ticket fares?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Smn1973

My understanding is that under 4's are free, although he might have to sit on our lap for busy trains. Unfortunately we are both over 26 so need to pay the higher fare :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭irishshadowfax

Hi OP,

We are a couple planning on doing the same in September, plan on flying in close to Salzburg, and then going --- Munich --- Wien --- Budapest --- Prague --- Berlin --- Malmo --- Copenhagen --- Amsterdam --- Brussels --- Brugge, and finishing in Rome...

That is a very general plan, not sure if we can make all those cities or if that is the most efficient travel route. (Must do some research)

So far all we have planned is;
    - to take as many night trains as possible to cut down some bit on cost
    - try and stick to good hostels, and get the 'backpacker' experience
    - see as much as we can for 12/13 days and then relax for 3/4 days before we head home, possible a beach area would be ideal.

TBH we are 2 professionals in our late 20's, and don't want to be bumming around Europe, so we'll go for our comfort where we can, plus I like having a plan and being in reasonable control so I have a lot of research to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Piituska23

Hi!
    We were interrailing with our one year old daughter a year ago. I would recommend direct night trains, they cost a bit extra, (depending if you sleep in a couchette for 6, for 4 or take a private cabin) but you save the amount that you would pay for a hostel, and our baby slept like, well, a baby :) That way you wake up in a new place, rested, right in a city centre,you can leave your luggage at the train station and find a place to stay. We spend few days in Amsterdam, Praque, Vienna, Rome and Berlin. The whole trip took almost three weeks. To be fare, it took almost two days to get to a'dam from this northern island.
    It was the best trip I have ever made, enjoy!!!
    We did not camp,- naturally, it was freezing, -but western Europe is full of campsides..
    P.S I didn't make any reservations, we travelled in Feb&March, Europe was empty, prices low etc..

P.S.S Sorry for my english..

Advertisement