Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 just stopped.

Options
  • 30-12-2011 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a 06 S40 2 litre diesel & just yesterday it stopped on me.When I was driving different messages came up on the screen,reduced performance,power steering service,abs service required,brake failure stop safely,the wipers & the radio stopped working,I eventually just had to pull over.Today I went back to it & jump started it & drove it home but the messages where coming back on just as I got home.A friend of mine said it was probably just the battery because its nearly 6 years old,is the battery the problem.I have borrowed a battery charger & have it on charge at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Battery or alternator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

+1 on the battery..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alternator are a common failure on the S40 but checking the condition of the battery is the first and cheaper thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lbreen70

I charged the battery for a full day & drove the car & it seemed fine,however earlier today my wife was driving the car with kids in the back etc & she had the same problem,messages on the dash,the radio went off & she thinks the steering might have gotten heavy but not to sure,I think panic was setting in. Had to pull over & leave it there,its becoming a real pain in the ass.
    When I took the battery out one of the connections was covered in like a mould, I think I might change the battery because its six years old & hopefully that will sort it out but I don't think I will get a battery today but will start phoning around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

You can ask any mechanic to check the battery and alternator. It will only take minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Alternator most likely, charging the battery yourself is only prolonging the problem, do a search on here to get more info. (or look at your manual and see what the dashboard messages mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭voojeq

mie100.jpg

Advertisement