Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would make the best location for a preservation railway?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Where would you open a heritage railway if money was no object? Where would it be practical and where would provide the most scenic journies?

I was in Cultra for the first time yesterday and while it was lovely to see some fine locomotives being preserved (better than CIE, to their shame, have ever managed) it was saddening to see the likes of Maedhbh as a static display when really such a fine and historic engine should be running somewhere.

So, imagine you won the Euromillions and could sidestep political interference and bitchiness, where would you (re)open your heritage line and what would you have running on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

its a bit unfair to knock CIE seeing as Maeve(bh) was a gift from CIE and several of the othert locos preserved would not have been without CIEs involvement.In fairness, it is the Government of the day that were to blame for their not being a Republic Railway Museum not CIEs. It just wasnt their job

Having said that,anywhere would be a good location....near to Dublin would make sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Decent sized branch, connected to an operating mainline somewhere close enough to Dublin.

Edenderry or Ardee would be most logical but I believe the Ardee trackbed is in part subsumed and otherwise always directly adjacent to the N33 so it wouldn't be that interesting. I'm not personally aware of what would stop Edenderry being viable but I suspect there is some buildings or similar in the way (and the M4).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Greystones to Bray would be ideal IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Somewhere East of the Bann but if I won the Euro millions I wouldn't waste my time on an Irish project. Something far more worthwhile, that would actually be supported and appreciated, would be the rebuilding of the Lynton & Barnstaple http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/ or the rebuilding of the Douglas/Peel line on the Isle of Man.

Claremorris to cooloooney!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Somewhere East of the Bann but if I won the Euro millions I wouldn't waste my time on an Irish project. Something far more worthwhile, that would actually be supported and appreciated, would be the rebuilding of the Lynton & Barnstaple http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/ or the rebuilding of the Douglas/Peel line on the Isle of Man.

But surely the reason the Douglas/Peel line on the Isle of Man closed was because it wasn't being supported?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Drimnagh Road

There was a "Heritage Railway" group set up a few years ago to investigate this.

Some of the groups initial updates can be found here, although the last update was in Jan 2011, so I assume the project is as dead as the Metro.

I think some of their members defected to the RPSI where there was actually a realistic opportunity to contribute something worthwhile to the Irish Railway heritage scene.

Tarabuses wrote: »
    But surely the reason the Douglas/Peel line on the Isle of Man closed was because it wasn't being supported?

Apart from that being factually incorrect what has it to do with whether or not it would be a good location for a preserved railway? Don't bother replying as it will only derail the thread further than my original post did. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Drogheda - Navan when the Tara traffic finishes would be perfect or Mullingar - Athlone. Both have connections with the mainline and are reasonable travelling distance from Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Greystones to Bray would be ideal IMO.
    Make that Bray to Shillelagh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

lord lucan wrote: »
    Drogheda - Navan when the Tara traffic finishes would be perfect or Mullingar - Athlone. Both have connections with the mainline and are reasonable travelling distance from Dublin.

And OP asked what we would have running on it - 071's and MKIII's. Nothing like a good pipe dream !!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

And OP asked what we would have running on it - 071's and MKIII's. Nothing like a good pipe dream !!! ;)

Now you're talkin'! Pity an 071 would be wasted due to speed restrictions but it would still be an impressive spectacle. They could even build a loco shed at the old Platin factory sidings to display loco's not in service.

I'll wake up from this dream eventually but i'll enjoy it while it lasts.;)

CIE wrote: »
    Make that Bray to Shillelagh.

aye, top o' the mornin to ye.

It'd certainly attract the Sterotypical yank tourists looking for the quaint Irish town :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

It'd certainly attract the Sterotypical yank tourists looking for the quint Irish town :D
    Certainly would...but I don't expect even a tourist railway operator to reopen the Shillelagh branch notwithstanding, even to turn the town into a tourist trap; it'd have to do some running onto IE tracks to be worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Athlone - mullingar
    With 071s, 141 and 142, and the last remaining 121 thats down in clare.

Athlone - mullingar
    With 071s, 141 and 142, and the last remaining 121 thats down in clare.

might have a useful transport and diversionary function too!

It'd certainly attract the Sterotypical yank tourists looking for the quaint Irish town :D

Bray! :rolleyes:

Bray! :rolleyes:
    That would be of more interest to thrill seekers and adrenalin junkies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

youghal-midleton :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Limerick-Ballybrophy when it closes or Waterford-Rosslare. Both these lines while a distance from Dublin can be reached by mainline services. Both lines are at a working standard, while Mullingar, Kingscourt and some of the other lines mentioned hav'nt been used in years and would require significant investment just to get a train on them, never mind the other infastructure and costs that would be required.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Limerick to Foynes with special mention of the section through Weston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

parsi wrote: »
    Limerick to Foynes with special mention of the section through Weston.
    Cost too much to repair the viaduct.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

youghal-midleton :D
    Midleton Distillery at one end, the seaside at t'other? Might be something in that.

One of the things that prevented Youghal from being reopened was the notion that too many sets would be required to maintain a given service interval. However, what if the Midleton-Youghal part was not an all day service?

Suppose Youghal station was rebuilt with enough resources to start two trains in the morning. These would then run into town through Midleton, leaving that section clear at around 8.30 or so. The preserved railway could then get its gear going with free movement on the section, perhaps arriving into a platform east of the mainline station so that there would be no interference with IE operations. At around 5pm they would have to close down for the day and the two evening services ex Cork could arrive in and stay overnight.

It's all pie in the sky and never happen but sure we're talking about preserved railways - isn't it all? :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Docklands station would be an ideal location for a museum. :p

Advertisement