Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frogspawn! 2012...

Options
  • 30-12-2011 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I've noticed frogs in the pond for the last couple of days but I was really surprised to see frogspawn this morning!

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The mild winter is playing havoc with a lot of things it seems! I'm sure we'll get spme sort of cold snap yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Frightfully early! though not unprecedented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

:DIs that late for last year, or early for next year?

recedite wrote: »
    :DIs that late for last year, or early for next year?
    Title amended ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The mild winter is playing havoc with a lot of things it seems! I'm sure we'll get spme sort of cold snap yet though.

Thats the worry - I fully expect this winter to have a sting in its tail that will have the potential to kill many tadpooles that happen to be about:(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Here's a good article in The Guardian about the mild winter: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/jan/11/mild-winter-natural-world

Frogs are coming to the pond in their droves tonight.
    Lovely conditions, mild, humid, drizzly 11C at moment.

No spawn yet. Need to be careful walking outside. Just had a pair hop past the front door....
    Usual first date of spawn is 12th Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

There is was a lady on Mooney goes wild a couple of weeks ago and she was
    doing a biology survey in Newtown mt kdy in wicklow and she came across some frogspawn
    I think it was early to mid January apologies for the vagueness doing from memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

Saw plenty of frogspawn today near Lough Ine.Plenty of tadpoles too, much to the delight of my 4 year old!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Plenty of frog-spawn here in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Saw some up on Achill Island last week.

Mothman wrote: »
    Frogs are coming to the pond in their droves tonight.
    Lovely conditions, mild, humid, drizzly 11C at moment.

No spawn yet. Need to be careful walking outside. Just had a pair hop past the front door....
    Usual first date of spawn is 12th Feb
    Despite plenty of frogs in pond for past few days, first spawn was today...bang on time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Digging out a large poly tunnel the last few weekends to put on new plastic... disturbed a frog that was wedged in between the plastic at the base and the soil on Sunday....

Every year I see frogs in my poly tunnel.. even in the summer when it's really hot in it... I keep having to catch them and put them in a pond in the corner of the field where they used to spawn... I'm hoping someday they will spawn there again so I can see the tadpoles wandering around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Was out for a walk in Dublin today and came across a small pond with about 30 frogs and lots of frog spawn. They were busy at the mating game and making those frog noises. Haven't seen so many in one spot before and couldn't help thinking that they are in a pretty vulnerable state while in flagrante. A heron would have had a field day if it had come across these lads and lassies. how many more days are we likely to see them in this state as I might go up and get a few more shots.

14e5rmc.jpg

dzi1x.jpg

21od2ch.jpg

frog5t.jpg

f0vrir.jpg]

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

How is that some people seem to be able to get really close to frogs, but the frogs in my pond dive into the water and disappear whenever I approach the pond?

Huge amount of frog activity in the garden today, and frogs were arriving all day, running the gauntlet through the hens, who seem to adore frogs :(

I even stood on a female frog as I exited the house, but fortunately I was barefoot and got it with my arch. It then jumped into the house!
    Our trampoline is dug into the ground and 12 frogs and 2 newts were removed from under. They were not there yesterday.

Advertisement