Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Fehling's solution ingredient with one from Benedicts solution?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I am trying to make a working Fehling's or Benedicts solution just to show the difference between Sucrose and Fructose+Glucose.

Now I will split the Sucrose to make a solution of Fructose+Glucose by heating in either a mild acid or a mild alkaline.

I have the following ingredients to make the Fehling's or Benedicts solution.
    Cream of Tartar (=rochelle salt) , CuSO4 and Sodium Carbonate (washing soda).
    I don't have and don't want to use NaOH which would enable me to make the Fehling's solution (=Rochelle Salt+NaOH and then add CuSO4 prior to use) and I don't have the Citric acid to make Benedicts solution (=Citric acid+CuSO4+Sodium Carbonate).
    In my opinion the following combination would also work...Rochelle Salt + CuSo4 and then Sodium Carbonate.
    It probably would react a bit less effective than the Fehling's or the Benedict...but it would peform the reaction necessary to turn CuSo4 ino Cu2O.
    If someone with a bit more knowledge could explain to me whether this would work or whether one really only can have the Rochelle Salt + NaOH or the Citric Acid + Sodium Carbonate combination I would be really thankfull.

Many thanks for your help

Advertisement