Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional\Learner Permit Question

Options
  • 30-12-2011 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi guys, I have received a letter in the post saying that I need to renew my learner permit as it is going out of date soon. I got my first provisinal when I was 18/19 (10 years ago), and by the time I went for my second it had expired so long that I had to sit the theory test to get a learner permit. My question is do I still have to apply for the test to get my third? Or does the length of time between the first and second mean anything?

Hope this makes sense, just let me know if you need any clarification (I haven't tried to sit the test by the way).

I am just worried because, due to work/home commitments, I have not been doing lessons and don't think I am ready to sit the test. I also do not have the details or exact dates of my first license, just trying to remember (definitely sat the theory test though, when applying last time)

Thanks
    Bill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

This happened me before the original provisional licence had expired for over 5 years so I had to sit the theory test and I was issued with a first learners permit (it had the 991 code that shows it's a first licence) not a second (992) but the date of issue was back dated to the original licences expiry date which was very confusing. It was still a 2 year licence and the expiry date reflected this. When that ran out after 2 years I was issued with a second learners permit no tests sat during this time - hadn't even driven a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Daxve wrote: »
    This happened me before the original provisional licence had expired for over 5 years so I had to sit the theory test and I was issued with a first learners permit (it had the 991 code that shows it's a first licence) not a second (992) but the date of issue was back dated to the original licences expiry date which was very confusing. It was still a 2 year licence and the expiry date reflected this. When that ran out after 2 years I was issued with a second learners permit no tests sat during this time - hadn't even driven a car!

Ah ok, so guessing that the number (991, 992 etc) tell you the number of the license?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

Yeah if it's 991 just apply for another learner permit no test necessary if it's 992 you'll need to have at least booked a driving test and present evidence of this to get another learner permit. 993 is for third or subsequent learner permit. 999 will always appear on a learner permit - Must be accompanied by qualified driver.

Codes explained here:
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/inserts_explanation_codes.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

I'm confused??..I am in the same situation. I had my 2nd provisional which is now 2 years out of date as I have been travelling.
    Can I just reapply for a 3rd then apply to do the full test??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

SAHMOM wrote: »
    I'm confused??..I am in the same situation. I had my 2nd provisional which is now 2 years out of date as I have been travelling.
    Can I just reapply for a 3rd then apply to do the full test??:confused:

You need to show the Motor Tax Office that you've taken a test or have a test coming up. The letter of confirmation from the RSA is proof enough. Otherwise they will not issue you a 3rd LP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

Faith+1 wrote: »
    You need to show the Motor Tax Office that you've taken a test or have a test coming up. The letter of confirmation from the RSA is proof enough. Otherwise they will not issue you a 3rd LP.
    But I can't apply for a test without a valid licence and having so many lessons done??? I've tried to apply online for a test so I can apply for my 3rd Prov...but my circumstance is diff.
    I really don't want to have to do the whole theory test again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement