Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

design software?

Options
  • 30-12-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

i want to design a sports booklet, we got the printing companys to design the pages and lay out ect for past years but its costly so was goin to try give it a crack myself, what do i need to get to do this? is photo shop all i need and will i be able to use it properly. ive no experence using photo shop at all.
    wold i be better off to bite the bullett and pay a pro to do it.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

You need a layout program such as indesign (preferable) or quark, plus experience if there's going to be a print run. To be honest yes, you're better getting someone that knows what they are doing, once it's printed that's it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 liamo1991

Better off getting someone that knows indesign along with photoshop for touching up photos as it can be tricky to do things with some of these software packages to produce a good layout/ product. We use them a bit in college and can take someone good to teach you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Pay someone. More than likely it'll look ****e, also there's technical aspects to keep in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

If you really want to 'have a crack' at it try Scribus. Your printers will still hate you, but not as much as they would if you had used Microsoft Word or Publisher.

http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Pay someone. The skills needed to layout a magazine etc. are seriously underrated by most people. It's possible you could do it yourself, but it will take you a LOT longer than a pro and also the proper software is very expensive.

Also, setting something up for print without any knowledge of the process can only lead to trouble down the line. There's plenty of reasons why people train for years to be a designer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement