Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dental moulding material

Options
  • 30-12-2011 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi, I know not a Dental issue as such but hope you may allow it, I'm looking for information on the moulding putty that dentists take impressions with. It's for an idea/project I'm working on and I would like to be able to try it out to see if it works.
    It's not for anything dental, I'm not attempting to make teeth or anything !!!!!
    ie. what type of material is it "silicone " I'm guessing?

So long as its not a medical use only material (or is it ?, although I can't imagine it is) I'm hoping to get my hands on about a matchbox sized amount of material to test to see if it works or not.

Again I'm assuming all this but can someone correct me if I'm wrong

Silicone or silicone type ?
    2 part material mix together to make the paste ?
    Sets in a few mins
    Is there a use by date on the putty (pre mixing of course) ?

Any info appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dental IMpressions materials come in a variety of types and the one you want depends on
    1. The level of detail you want to capture.
    2. The cost.
    3. The stability over time of the impressions.
    4. The elasticity of the impression (for undercut objects you want something you can removed without tearing the impression.

Basically there are 4 types:
    1. Plasters and hard materials like ZoE - these are usually only for specific situations and I doubt they work for your purpose.
    2. Alginate - water mixed with a seaweed derived powder that sets in minutes. Pros: very cheap, easy enough to handle, good detail. Con: not stable need to be poured up quickly, weak if unsupported, multiple pours loose detail,
    3. PVS (polyvinylsiloxaine) - silicone. Come in two types addition and condensation. Condensation is cheaper but less accurate (I have a feeling this might be the one for you PM me details of what you want to do and I can recommend). Addition is stable, accurate and rigid. Good elastic properties also. This stuff is expensive.
    4. Polyethers - this is way to expensive and very rigid. Probably not necessary for your needs, designed to work better in the absence of moisture control.

Give us some more details, and I can let you know where you would get this stuff, its easy to get and not on prescription of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

Thanks, PM on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Look up "sugru".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

garancafan wrote: »
    Look up "sugru".

Looks good but probably not for the op as it would stick to the item that he/she is taking the impression of....

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Gun Shy

garancafan wrote: »
    Look up "sugru".

Might just work,

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement