Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would have thought this of Great Tits?

Options
  • 29-12-2011 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭

In British gardens they are welcome visitors, stopping off to sing and snack on the caterpillars. But in a remote cave in Hungary they are exhibiting some unusual behaviour. There, great tits have turned into predators who search out and eat roosting bats.

Full article in Gaurdian

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I don't think there's any doubt that great tits are or can be, fairly aggressive as well as smart.
    It is one of the reasons I don't like to put out feed - doing so invariably encourages tits almost to the complete exclusion of other birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

slowburner wrote: »
    I don't think there's any doubt that great tits are or can be, fairly aggressive as well as smart.
    It is one of the reasons I don't like to put out feed - doing so invariably encourages tits almost to the complete exclusion of other birds.

I cant say I find that to be the case at all, lots of blue, coal and great tits
    visit the feeders alongside sparrows, finches, I find the tits to be most
    courteous and the sparrows tend to be the aggressive ones, thats apart from
    the resident robin who OWNS the place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Similar to Rainbow, I don't find the tits particularly aggressive in or about the feeders and the finches seem quite happy to co-exist

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I cant say I find that to be the case at all, lots of blue, coal and great tits
    visit the feeders alongside sparrows, finches, I find the tits to be most
    courteous and the sparrows tend to be the aggressive ones, thats apart from
    the resident robin who OWNS the place :)
    I have never seen a sparrow here - maybe the tits have ousted them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

:eek: never seen a sparrow in your garden?? They must be all in
    mine :)

• Advertisement

Not too sure if you could call my space a garden, it's more of a clearing in the woods :p

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Not many tits in my garden either - usually just singles on Blue, Coal and Great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭the scrote

I really should looked closer at name of the forum closer before i clicked on this,
    excuse me while i get my coat,

Advertisement