Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never use a 50 BMG round as a hammer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Holy Shít!
    What an idiot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

looks fake to me..... why would the round explode? if you hit the percussion cap the round would fire and not just explode like a grenade,
    I once saw a 50 caliber round cooked in a oven on Mythbusters and when it reached the righ temp to fire the bullet didnt explode, it fired the bullet out...But even then it didnt have enough power to kill as the case was not held firmly enough.... although it would have made a nasty wound....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

westdub wrote: »
    looks fake to me..... why would the round explode? if you hit the percussion cap the round would fire and not just explode like a grenade
    The article doesn't say it exploded. He was probably holding the round at the neck so all that hot gas would have tried to expand through his hand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

westdub wrote: »
    looks fake to me..... why would the round explode? if you hit the percussion cap the round would fire and not just explode like a grenade

Ever see a breech failure?

burney_07_13_02_scofield1kaboom.jpg

Glock21FrameCloseUp_640x480.gif

The brass casing provides far less resistance to the expanding gasses than the bullet does. If there isn't a solid amount of strong metal completely surrounding the cartridge, the explosion is vented outwards through the casing, hence the KaBooms.

And as you can imagine, even the weakened metal of the revolver is going to be stronger than a guy's hand. Then add in the fact that he's holding something which is closer to a cannon round than a .38 special...

NTM

Advertisement