Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing in Software Development Course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rolo454

Hey guys,
    This is my 3rd year in Galway, I done 2 1 year business courses in GTI and i'm taking a year out working this year.
    In September I'm going back to college to do a computing course.
    I've put this course down as my number 1.
    I was wondering if anybody could give me some insights into what the course is like.
    Also I've lived out in Westside and in the City Centre so far, what's it like living out near GMIT? Renmore I guess? any inconveniences?
    Thanks!

I can't really comment on the course itself as I am studying in the Business department myself, I can however tell you about the location.

Living out GMIT side is not all bad.. It is a bit far from town but there are buses that go from outside college every 15 mins. (Or so they say)

Accommodation is generally very cheap out that side, good atmosphere.. GMIT itself is quite small, but I have found the place and the people to be very accommodating. You'd probably be looking to live somewhere like Lurgan Park, Belmont or Glenn Rua - these are probably the cheapest estates and also the closest to the college itself.

Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't be more useful course wise..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jinkiness

jodie85 wrote: »
    Hi folks ,
    Just wondering what kind of assignments and projects do 1st and 2nd year students get?
    hey I'm currently a second year in software, well the projects sometimes change but when I was in first year apart from the module for presentation the projects were pretty easy all stuff that was studied in class...attendance is crucial I'm afraid the only major project was a website we had to create and a few lab exams put together , though everything we did in the labs had to be submitted at the end of each week , luckily that's only in first year.

in second year however we have so far...

A java project based on all the work we did so far, in Internet applications we had to create a working version of the game mastermind (that was tough!) , a systems analysis project which is simple enough, and finally a converter in c programming that uses 18 conversions

Basically the projects can be tough if you're not all logic minded (wish I was)

Hope that helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jinkiness

rolo454 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    This is my 3rd year in Galway, I done 2 1 year business courses in GTI and i'm taking a year out working this year.
    In September I'm going back to college to do a computing course.
    I've put this course down as my number 1.
    I was wondering if anybody could give me some insights into what the course is like.
    Also I've lived out in Westside and in the City Centre so far, what's it like living out near GMIT? Renmore I guess? any inconveniences?
    Thanks!
    Hey, there's a lot of labs and theory on java ...up to 6 hours a week
    It's a continuous assessment course which means u get marked for attendance and a lot of it is broken up into little exams as there is no theory exam in java u are given mcqs though and a few lab exams (which are open book ), it's quite a lot of study and is a bit hard to grasp at the start

Hmm...oh yeah then there's GUI and web dev in order to pass the year u must pass both these modules as ther is no repeat exam. GUI is basically just interactive forms and stuff and there's only one semester of both of these

Then there's Maths....reli hated that class but it's ok if u attend

Learning to learn is just basically presentations

Linux is basically useless just an extra subject, u basically just use the command prompt

There's the option French or e-business choose e-business srsly loved that class and the lecturer is a laugh.

There's also peer to peer this is when a group of third years come in and help u if ur stuck

Hmmm...that's all I can think of

Advertisement