Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alleged owner of lost dog - Not sure

Options
  • 29-12-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted here about a stray dog my friend found which she has been looking after the last 3 weeks. I have posted notices on all the lost & found/dog/donedeal forums & on the intranet in work, left details with the local vet & dog pound & 10 days ago we posted fliers up in the local area. We heard nothing until yesterday when my friend received a call about the dog with someone saying it was theirs. Ideally I would be delighted but I have my concerns as it seems a little dodgy & I spoke to the person today myself at 11am.

1. It's a 15 year old boy
    2. His mother can't call as she is pregnant
    3. He didn't know the dogs name - then gave 2 names as to what it could be
    4. Said the dogs collar was a different colour then what it actually is

When I pressed as to why there wasn't a parent calling he said that

5. He lives with his Dad & the younger brother who owns the dog lives with his Mother (they're separated)

I asked had he a photo of one of them with the dog & he said No but that he could show me the dogs mother & brother & that he also had a police report that the dog was missing.

My concern is that I think the whole situation/phone call is very strange & that the boy didn't seem delighted/relieved/enthusiastic that we had the dog. I've asked him for his mothers number which he said he'll forward but have received nothing yet.

Are myself & my friend over reacting or has anyone any advice on what we should do? We don't want to give the dog back until we are sure we've the right owner. The dog is very friendly & greets everyone very enthusiastically so it wouldn't be an indication to see the reaction if we were to meet this fella.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

It's not his dog. If he calls back tell him to get one of his parents to call. Who doesn't know what colour their dogs collar is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

misschoo wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

A few weeks ago I posted here about a stray dog my friend found which she has been looking after the last 3 weeks. I have posted notices on all the lost & found/dog/donedeal forums & on the intranet in work, left details with the local vet & dog pound & 10 days ago we posted fliers up in the local area. We heard nothing until yesterday when my friend received a call about the dog with someone saying it was theirs. Ideally I would be delighted but I have my concerns as it seems a little dodgy & I spoke to the person today myself at 11am.

1. It's a 15 year old boy
    2. His mother can't call as she is pregnant
    3. He didn't know the dogs name - then gave 2 names as to what it could be
    4. Said the dogs collar was a different colour then what it actually is

When I pressed as to why there wasn't a parent calling he said that

5. He lives with his Dad & the younger brother who owns the dog lives with his Mother (they're separated)

I asked had he a photo of one of them with the dog & he said No but that he could show me the dogs mother & brother & that he also had a police report that the dog was missing.

My concern is that I think the whole situation/phone call is very strange & that the boy didn't seem delighted/relieved/enthusiastic that we had the dog. I've asked him for his mothers number which he said he'll forward but have received nothing yet.

Are myself & my friend over reacting or has anyone any advice on what we should do? We don't want to give the dog back until we are sure we've the right owner. The dog is very friendly & greets everyone very enthusiastically so it wouldn't be an indication to see the reaction if we were to meet this fella.

Thanks
    dont hand dog over, i would not trust a person who does not know a name, people can be cruel to animals,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

planetX wrote: »
    It's not his dog. If he calls back tell him to get one of his parents to call. Who doesn't know what colour their dogs collar is?

Never mind the collar. Who doesn't know what their pet is called, even working dog's are named.

Has the dog any unique scars or other marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

The thing is he said he wasn't sure as he lives with his Dad & the dog supposedly lives with his Mum - but surely he'd know the dogs name? I've never heard of the Gardai issuing a police report on a lost dog?? It just seems very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭keithb93

planetX wrote: »

ah in fairness I dont even know the collar of my dogs collar even though I see her everyday. Its the last thing I notice.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Never mind the collar. Who doesn't know what their pet is called, even working dog's are named.

Has the dog any unique scars or other marks?

The problem I've posted the photo & as much detail as I could in order to trace the owner but the only thing that wasn't posted was the collar colour.

I've very much aware of the types of cruelty etc caused to animals that's why I'm so concerned about this. :(

keithb93 wrote: »
    ah in fairness I dont even know the collar of my dogs collar even though I see her everyday. Its the last thing I notice.

........... but at least you'd know your dogs name??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

well if the dog lives with his mother, let his mother call. There are some awful people out there, if your gut instinct tells you it's wrong it usually is. I had a couple of weird ones when I was trying to home kittens (that's why I got stuck with the last 2:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Ask them if they have a dog licence for the dog. Or if the dog is chipped. Ask for a photo or two, too. If they have none of the above and you're concerned about giving the dog to them, they haven't a leg to stand on, IMO.

I just spoke to my friend & she's not going to entertain them as she doesn't really believe him either - she had the dog scanned sreaight away & no chip :mad: - but asking for the dog license is a good idea (thanks) & I did say I wanted to see photos too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

obviously,just dont let him have the dog,if they were the genuine owners and someone had not gotten back in contact with them they woud go to the police likely saying someone has stolen/is keeping hold of their pet.

they do not sound genuine at all,perhaps its worth asking the police if they consider that an offence for this boy to be trying to claim a dog that isnt his.
    people that take advantage of found pet signs shoud be made to clean up dog sht from the streets and help to find missing pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Sounds very dodgy to me. Whatever about not knowing the colour of the collar, not knowing the name screams "scam" to me.

As mentioned above, you need to tell the "child" that you will only answer to an adult, you will need proof the dog is theirs (e.g. dog licence, photos etc). If they cant provide this, they can get the guards involved. No scammer will pursue it as far as the guards, so you'll know if they're legit if it comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They mighn't necessarily be lying - a lot of people have that lack-a-daisical, laissez faire attitude to their dogs and aren't too concerned about them. Not everyone is as dog-mad or responsible as us folks on here. A lot of people have a dog living on the fringes of the family, usually stuck outside in the back yard 24/7 or left to roam about. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If I take in a dog that's been found straying and the supposed owner rings to reclaim, I always tell them i'll need to be recompensed for expenses incurred whilst I had the dog: food, kenneling, printing posters, phone calls, diesel, vets fees and grooming if warranted (some dogs come in in rag order and are clipped for their own comfort and welfare, and some need urgent vet care) etc. You get the gist!
    Had the dog been taken in by the pound, they'd have to pay a fine for allowing the dog to stray, pay for a licence if they didn't already have one, and most pounds charge reunited owners for kenneling, all of which comes to in excess of €50 minimum.
    My point is, if they call again with serious intent to reclaim, tell them you want to be reimbursed, and do make out an itemized bill. This will test their resolve!
    In addition, I would not deal with a child. All negotiations with adults only!

boomerang wrote: »
    They mighn't necessarily be lying - a lot of people have that lack-a-daisical, laissez faire attitude to their dogs and aren't too concerned about them. Not everyone is as dog-mad or responsible as us folks on here. A lot of people have a dog living on the fringes of the family, usually stuck outside in the back yard 24/7 or left to roam about. :(

This is what I'm concerned about - that it COULD be theirs. I'm nuts about my dog & would go crazy if I lost her but I realise that some people don't think in the same way BUT the one things that's swaying me is that he doesn't know the dogs name. I'll see what happens over the next few days but we definitely won't be handing her over without proof of ownership - whether that be a dog license & if they don't have one well than a photo at least - every pet owner has to have a photo of their dog........ don't they?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dogsireland dot com

Hi OP, I think that you and your friend know that this is not right. The alarm bells were ringing, so much so that you decided to come on here to boards.ie.
    My advice is to go with your gut. Some times you just know from talking to someone on the phone if things are right or not. It is up to the other person to prove ownership of the dog.
    Oh and if as he says he is living apart from his mother and brother how did he know the dog was missing. If one of them told him the dog was missing then surely they would have been told the name etc. and to look out for the dog.
    I would bet that this was a chancer and you will not hear from this lad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I have two thoughts on this. One that maybe this dog was delibretely dumped by either of his parents (could tie in with his mother being pregnant), and now the child wants the dog back but behind his parent's backs, still doesn't explain why he doesn't know his name. Every dog I know no matter how well or not so well cared for has a name, even working dogs or dogs just tied up outside and forgotten about. Maybe one of the parents operates a puppy farm and has so many dogs that literally they can't keep track of names, the child could just be being very honest and naive in saying it could have 1 of 2 names. Other thought is he's a complete chancer.

I personally wouldn't give them the dog back without some serious proof, dog licence wouldn't be enough for me, I'd want photos. Do as DBB said and ask for costs to be covered, and if s/he's not neutered tell them s/hes been neutered and would like for the cost of that to be covered. That way if it's a chancer looking for a free dog for breeding he'l loss interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just out of curiousness what kind of dog is it? If it is a restricted breed you should definitely insist that the child's parents contact you if they want to reclaim ownership since by law they have to be controlled by someone over 16. Or even just use that as a reason to talk to the parents. Still, sounds a bit dodgy to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Theres a bit of a dog fighting culture going on these days ... typically by young/young adult lads .

Be careful !

Thanks for that - she is not spayed - vet thought she was just in heat or may be in pup - and my friend - to give her her dues - is willing to take that on (and she has SERIOUS family stuff going on at the moment) the dog has put on a bit of weight in the last couple of weeks but we think that's over feeding on my friends part due to lack of doggie experience so we don't think she's having pups!

She's not a restricted breed - just a lovely JRT Cross - a little dote & even though my friend hasn't ever had a dog before she's not willing to let her go until she is sure she's going to her correct home,

Def not going anywhere until an owner can provide proof that the dog is theirs - photos etc. (I would be impressed if I lost my dog & the person who found her wanted me to show proof that I owned her). It's not too much to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have jrt,s and been advised to be careful and not let them loose, that they are being stolen right left and centre, and not for good reasons, rather nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Who in Gods name cannot provide the name of their dog ???

Do not entertain this chancer , without doubt a con.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

If the kid is able to identify the dog from a photo, and say without question that it belongs to his younger brother, then he would have to have been around the dog long enough to be sure of the name. As for the collar, I know my boy has a red one, but then he's had the same collar for the past 6 years, I couldn't tell you what colours he had when he was a growing pup. He says it's his younger brother's - whether or not he is lying is besides the point, he's said the dog is not his. If the boy was anyway decent, he'd tell his brother where to find you, and he'd come in person, obviously with more information and probably a parent.

Advertisement