Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hills cat food

Options
  • 29-12-2011 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

So after getting my cat back finally from vet :) he was in with vomiting and stomach problems . I have been advised to switch him onto hill science plan for nuetered cats he is also a little overweight. Now I have heard lots of bad things about this food . He was normally getting wet/dry food diet they said he should just eat dry food . Can anyone advise is this good idea or is their something on the market that is similar to this food but better for him. Thanks :) oh he is 15months old and is 6.1kg .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Hills is a hit or miss food - some animals do really well on it while others do very badly on it. IMO, if you don't know don't risk it!

James Wellbeloved or Burns may suit your cat (they would be cheaper than Hills anyway!). Both are gentle on sensitive bellies and are still good quality foods. Burns is quite low in calories anyway and James Wellbeloved have a "light" version (but you could just feed slightly less of the regular stuff!) so this could help with the weight as well as the stomach problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Heya,

We rescued a 3 month old kitten in October from our vets and were also advised by the vets to use Hills Cat food.

So far, it has done him good. He has been indoors since we got him and his fur is beautiful, so golden ginger and soft, healthy teeth and healthy daily stools, twice a day.

He loves it. We have also gotten the big packs on great deals for 11.50 per pack (reduced at the time, we just loaded up on it). He loves it and eats it no problem, also each large pack lasts for just over a month. He is fed three times daily. I was worried that if we treat him to real cooked chicken or other meats, he'd go off the dry food but he hasn't. He still eats it no problem.

His weight is also healthy. So far so good!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Hey OP, i have four cats and each one of them hates the Hills food. Wouldn't even touch it. I had them on Royal Canin for the past year but must have gotten a bad batch or something as they were all throwing up on the last bag I used. Since that (Didn't really want to put them back on it after throwing up) I've been doing a mix of Applaws (grain free diet and a very high quality food) and Maxi Zoo's own brand Select Gold Sensitive Light for Hair and Skin (also a very high quality food), as one of my boys is quite heavy as well. They love these two and have definitely lost weight on the Select Gold. The applaws seems to help a lot with the litter box smell as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

I was feeding applaws wet food mixed with JW dry food but the vet advised Hills bt after reading up it seems that they just push that stuff as they gt a %???they given me a bag to feed him while he is recovering but defo think I should be changing after this. Who knew feeding cats could be so complicated had cat years ago he gt whiskas(shock horror) and not a bother on him. Now like kids these days cats,dogs everyone has developed allergies etc etc MAD AUL WORLD.but we love them anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Every vet in Ireland seems to flog the "Hills" pet food.

I wonder what their real (non commission) opinion would be!

We are fans of: http://www.husse.ie/home/

get in touch with your local vendor and they should be able to give you some sample packs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭no1girliegirl

6.1kg your cat probably needs to go on to an obesity food, Royal canin do one, maybe hills do aswell, never heard anything bad about Hills, my dog used to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

I work in a vets (RVN), from my own experience, I can say I had my cats on Hills for years, they didn't much care for Royal Canin the odd time I offered it to them, Hills is a good quality food, they loved it and thrived on it, however, when my hours were cut :/ I switched them to Burns, it took them a while to get used to it, but they are now eating it happily and doing just fine on it.

All three of the above are perfectly good foods, as are many others. Just make sure to inquire if the food you choose is "fixed-formula" and also that the protein content is human-grade, and remember that is vital to provide a constant supply clean, fresh water to any animal - especially those being fed dry food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I recently changed my 2 cats over from royal canin to Red Mills cat food, and they are doing well on it. The science plan seems expensive, and red mills is 10.50e a large bag in petstop in blanch.
    What i like most about it - apart from the price, is that it is made in Co. Kilkenny.
    http://www.redmills.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

So doing d switch over Alfie on hills prescription for gastrointestinal since he was in the vets and it hills science diet for nuetered they gave me to switch over to. I am doing 80%/20% to start of with bt twice today he has slight loose stools .i guessing his is the new food & his belly probably still being little icky .

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

applaws is brilliant for cats with tummy issues. one of ours is allergic to grain and have put them all on applaws. With the higher meat count and the lack of grain they have all done really well. We buy from zooplus. €80 for 2x7.5kg lasts 9 cats about a month and a half. some do get extra wet which is either applaws wet or felix as good as it looks ( the felix is for a cat that struggles to hold a good weight).

They have all lost weight( the ones that needed to) and we rarely have dodgy tummy or dodgy litter tray.

• Advertisement
Advertisement