Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Objects of the Church

• 29-12-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys, just wondering if I could get some ideas of what objects and actions people associate with the Catholic Church...for example communion, white collar, rosary beads and praying, blessing ones self etc etc.

I would love to hear more objects and actions you associate with the Church so please comment! :)

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

apresharry wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering if I could get some ideas of what objects and actions people associate with the Catholic Church...for example communion, white collar, rosary beads and praying, blessing ones self etc etc.

I would love to hear more objects and actions you associate with the Church so please comment! :)

Cheers guys!

The vagueness of your question raises the eyebrow of suspicion. Catholicism is associated with quite a few objects and actions. Why not start again with the who what where when of something specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass (the Eucharist) is THE most important part of the Catholic Church, without it the Catholic Church would cease to exist. The Rosary is a devotion in honour of the Mother of God, and reflects on the life of Jesus and Mary as recorded in the Gospels. The Scapulars is another Catholic Devotionin honour of the Mother of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Thanks OP. Good question. The Catholic Church is made of 22 ritual rites of which the Roman rite is the Largest. So when saying ''Catholic Church'' it's important to note that the Catholic Church is not Roman but Catholic of which the Roman rite happens to be the largest.

Therefore each Rite has different objects it uses in their use of Liturgy as their Liturgy differs from one to the other.

In the Roman Rite they enter a Church and bless themselves with Holy Water

In the Eastern Catholic Rite they enter a church and Kiss icons.

Roman rite bless themselves from left to right. But how that came about was a mistake as they use to bless themselves from right to left like is Easterns. With Index, middle finger and thumb joined to create the trinity and then the ring finger and pinky folded across the palm of the hand to signify the two natures of Christ both human and Divine.

What happened was the new converts saw the priest bless himself facing them this way and they just followed the priest in a mirror image sort of way and thats how they ended up blessing themselves left to right. :D So the Roman rite just held on to it.

umm we also have whats known as a prayer rope ( Chotki/Komboskini ) in which we recite the Jesus prayer as well as the Holy Rosary of Our Lady. We also have an Iconatosis on the alter whereas the Roman rite doesnt do this.

But it would help if you are just refferring to Roman rite in Sacred objects and actions. There are so many objects and actions associated with Catholicism I couldnt list all of them off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Im going to assume OP that your doing some kind of Photo/painting/general artistic work?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

a Crucifix seem to be the movie cue for roman catholic the way bible is used for any protestant denom and icons for eastern rite.
    Confession boxes, statues, Tabernacles.
    Come to think of it this question would be better suited some where else if it's iconic images and stereotypical behavior you're asking for.
    Most of thees things have deep and varied meaning to practicing catholics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 apresharry

Hey, thanks for you're replies.......you've all put many new perspectives on my original post, which is now after giving me a lot to think about! :) appreciate it!

but -theres always a but;)

Im really looking for physical objects that you associate with the Catholic church..

So what if I put it to you this way.....

Imagine you were asked to describe the Catholic church naming objects only....these objects can be as abstract, or as personal, or as obvious as you want..as long as you associate them with the catholic church........what would you say?

For example your baptismal candle, your grandfathers rosary beads......what would you say? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fergalmj

Stations of the Cross, Sanctuary Lamp, Cross on top of the pinnacle of the Church, Confessional Box, Tabernacle, Kneelers, Incense, Statues, Cross with Corpus,Sanctuary Bell(s), Rosary, Monstrance

They are some that come to mind ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Cheers guys!

Happy to help harry if you tell us what it's for, if it's for yet another anti-catholic portrayal, then the answer is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 apresharry

Happy to help harry if you tell us what it's for, if it's for yet another anti-catholic portrayal, then the answer is no.

thanks fergalmj! great input!!!:)

and to The Quadratic Equation, in response to your query, this is all purely research for college. Research which is being used as material to enlighten me on what the public associates with the Catholic Church...

However, I have asked people to name objects that can be abstract, obvious or personal...therefore their is a great chance that an anti-catholic reply to my question may arise.
    Each person's response will undoubtedly be a reflection of their experience with the Catholic church...and this is something that I do not feel should be frowned upon or looked upon in a negative way, I am open to hearing everyones ideas.

Of course, I hope that no individuals response to my question upsets or offends anyone else, but I believe everyone is entitled to their voice and their opinion...

My question is not anti-anything, but it is up to the public if replies to it are.

:)

Why don't you simply share the subject and title of your thesis, then posters here might be able to be more specific.
    For example I have a small Coptic cross given to me by a catholic nun who devoted her life to helping the poor in Africa. Clearly this object is of little significance to the roman catholic rite but it is of value to me.
    Best if you define your thesis specifically by subject and title and then I'll be happy to address it. Otherwise wikipedia would be quicker for you.

• Advertisement

However, I have asked people to name objects that can be abstract, obvious or personal...therefore their is a great chance that an anti-catholic reply to my question may arise.

To your question ? How so ?
    Each person's response will undoubtedly be a reflection of their experience with the Catholic church...and this is something that I do not feel should be frowned upon or looked upon in a negative way

Nor any question regarding what the purpose and context of the portrayal is for ?
    I would leave any predjucice at the door about what Catholics should or should not frown on if I were you.
    Being against or on guard against any potentially prejudiced or unbalanced view of any group is not a negative.

Lads. Will ye all relax will ye? Lad just wants to know what we associate with Catholicism. He could research it himself without our help and still find the objects he is after.

Too much paranoia goin on around here. Thats like saying to someone who has questions about our faith or looking for the answers ''Why should I give you the answer if you are only going to use my answer to put in your atheist thesis?'' Come on. RELAX.

Doc. I would stretch to say that all Crucifixes and Crosses from all rites are equally significant to every rite as we are all Catholic. The Roman rite uses eastern icons in it's Churches and these eastern rite icons are of great significance to the roman rite.

I'd love to see the Coptic Cross. How big is it?

Onesimus wrote: »
    Lads. Will ye all relax will ye? Lad just wants to know what we associate with Catholicism. He could research it himself without our help and still find the objects he is after.

Too much paranoia goin on around here. Thats like saying to someone who has questions about our faith or looking for the answers ''Why should I give you the answer if you are only going to use my answer to put in your atheist thesis?'' Come on. RELAX.

Doc. I would stretch to say that all Crucifixes and Crosses from all rites are equally significant to every rite as we are all Catholic. The Roman rite uses eastern icons in it's Churches and these eastern rite icons are of great significance to the roman rite.

I'd love to see the Coptic Cross. How big is it?

You are right on each of your points.
    I was wrong regarding what I wrote on the Coptic cross. What I meant to say is that there simply aren't that many of them in Irish churches, which is very different to what I wrote.
    It's only a tiny Ethiopean one, sold in bulk to raise missionary finances. I can't find an exact replica on the net but if I find one I'll let you know, thanks!

Exactly so why should we be a party to it ? Instead of trying to avoid telling us anything about the nature of it, he could very easily and politely have given more detail and promised its not for the usual an anti catholic dross or use, but instead when pushed for details we get the following thinly veiled patronising lecture :
    Each person's response will undoubtedly be a reflection of their experience with the Catholic church...and this is something that I do not feel should be frowned upon or looked upon in a negative way"

We didn't all come down in the last shower.

Exactly, but instead he has avoided telling us what it's for, and he could very easily and politely have said its not for an anti catholic article or use when asked, of course he can write whatever anti Catholic dross he wants, a quick google will give him all the objects he needs, so why the troll here, and why should we assist ? when pushed we get the following thinly veiled patronising lecture :

Q people are entitled to speak their mind about Catholicism. it doenst make them correct but we cant all go and burn them at the stake for it either. God gave man free will. What they do with that free will is ultimately their responsability.

So again just relax and pray for them. Watch my new thread video on Salvation you'll like that I hope.

Onesimus :)

Exactly, but instead he has avoided telling us what its for, and he could very easily and politely have said its not for an anti catholic article or use when asked, instead we got the following thinly veiled patronising lecture :
    Each person's response will undoubtedly be a reflection of their experience with the Catholic church...and this is something that I do not feel should be frowned upon or looked upon in a negative way"

God bless you quadratic! But my concern was that the sentence that you quoted simply doesn't make rational sense. The word 'therefore' doesn't tie the meaning of the piece together! :)
    Which suggests to me that the chap really is a student as it sounds like the sentences I wrote in college!
    I just wanted a simple explanation! Oh well.... Therefore.....

Q people are entitled to speak their mind about Catholicism. it doenst make them correct but we cant all go and burn them at the stake for it either. God gave man free will. What they do with that free will is ultimately their responsability.

Where exactly did I say people are not ? I'll repeat again, I don't care what dross they write about Catholicism, but they should not expect my free assistance with writing it, by giving me scanty details about its angle, and witholding as much info as possible about it.
    So again just relax and pray for them. Watch my new thread video on Salvation you'll like that I hope.

Onesimus :)

Don't read or try to project an emotion onto someone elses post, I could not be more relaxed if I tried lying here on my recliner. Thanks for posting the vid, I'll take a look.

Where exactly did I say people are not ? I'll repeat again, I don't care what dross they write about Catholicism, but do not ever expect my assistance by giving me scanty details.

I think you might need to be the one to relax there bud.
    Don't read or try to project an emotion onto someone elses post, I could not be more relaxed if I tried lying here on my recliner. Thanks for posting the vid, I'll take a look.

Quad even if he give you all the details he could still just be making up all those details anyway right? So again take it easy on the OP regardless of his mission to either just study politely or is designing to use it to put Catholicism in a bad light we'd never really know.

I'd agree that if we knew for certain that someone was going to ask us for a Bible so they could burn it we would refuse and not cast our pearls before swine right?

But as it is, there is no knowing the ops intentions and you are reading into it too much and getting way too paranoid. If anyone is giving a bad portrayal of Catholicism in this thread its you and your paranoid rant I'm afraid.

God bless
    Onesimus

Quad even if he give you all the details he could still just be making up all those details anyway right? So again take it easy on the OP regardless of his mission to either just study politely or is designing to use it to put Catholicism in a bad light we'd never really know.

I'd agree that if we knew for certain that someone was going to ask us for a Bible so they could burn it we would refuse and not cast our pearls before swine right?

But as it is, there is no knowing the ops intentions and you are reading into it too much and getting way too paranoid. If anyone is giving a bad portrayal of Catholicism in this thread its you and your paranoid rant I'm afraid.

God bless
    Onesimus

Trying to call me paranoid, telling me to relax, and now trying to say I'm giving a bad portrayal of Catholicism is about as hypocritcal about judgement as you can get.
    I'll try to explain it to you yet again, I don't care what dross is written about Catholicism, I do however care about what I personally collaborate with, and I have every right to ask, and ask again, without your persmission, untill given the details I require, and then I will decide what I personally assist with, and personally contribute to.

Trying to call me paranoid, telling me to relax, and now trying to say I'm giving a bad portrayal of Catholicism is about as hypocritcal about judgement as you can get.
    I'll try to explain it to you yet again, I don't care what dross is written about Catholicism, I do however care about what I personally collaborate with, and I have every right to ask, and ask again, without your persmission, untill given the details I require, and then I will decide what I personally assist with, and personally contribute to.

I know you dont care about whats written about Catholicism. You've already established this. But like I said you can ask and ask again but it wouldnt really matter because he could respond to you with a lie that you must take on faith.

This is boards and I wouldnt blame the OP for not telling you what his thesis is, or where his university is or what his class is etc because for all the Op knows you could be some mad hatter and thats a lot of personal info for him just to hand over to some stranger.

You seem to be waving around your rights rather than thinking about the morally right and wrongs of your position. It's 2am in the morning. Your probably sitting in your recliner having a few drams and just deciding to be a bit of a nuisance to the OP for the sake of being a nuisance. I'll leave you to it and wait for you to cool off so...

Enjoy your hangover in the morning. :p;)

God bless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

kinda figuring out how schisms eventually happen reading this thread.

OP, my own personal one is the penal cross. it was small enough to hide up your sleeve during the time of the penal laws.

I know you dont care about whats written about Catholicism. You've already established this.

. .and you've finally had to acknowlege it, after constantly ignoring it.
    But like I said you can ask and ask again but it wouldnt really matter because he could respond to you with a lie that you must take on faith.

Then he has lied and has the consequences, rather that I being foolish enough to willingly to collaborate with something potentially prejudiced.

The reason I wish to be thorough here, is I have quite a few objects in mind that are abstract and/or personal and have not been metioned yet.

When pushed for details he attempted a thinly veiled patronising mini lecture. Indication enough of a potentially prejudiced position to me, hence I will ask any further questions I feel like without your permission, approval, or consent, before I decide what I will collaborate with.
    This is boards and I wouldnt blame the OP for not telling you what his thesis is, or where his university is or what his class is etc because for all the Op knows you could be some mad hatter and thats a lot of personal info for him just to hand over to some stranger.

More strawmen, this was never asked for or required, details of the purpose and nature/angle of the work can be given without revealing any personal information whatsoever.
    You seem to be waving around your rights rather than thinking about the morally right and wrongs of your position. It's 2am in the morning. Your probably sitting in your recliner having a few drams and just deciding to be a bit of a nuisance to the OP for the sake of being a nuisance. I'll leave you to it and wait for you to cool off so...

Enjoy your hangover in the morning. :p;)

God bless.

Again more strawmen and hyperbole.

Now as well as trying to call me unrelaxed, paranoid, and a bad example to Catholicism, now you're calling me drunk and to cool it ? The time of my post is irrelevant. I work irregular shift hours. So another one of your thinly veiled slander attempts bites the dust. Nice try, but no dice.

Quite frankly, unless you've become a mod, my posts are none of your business.

Just remember I gave you a chance before, after your previous personal insults on another thread the mods had to delete, and several chances in this thread. The other readers may not be aware of this, but I am. So again don't expect unlimited patience by continually responding to my posts with off topic passive agressive patronising remarks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Whats that ring-thing called? Like a rosary ring, or something, with ten knobs around the edge and a cross...
    And little crucifixes on the dashboards of cars, and pictures of Padre Pio with a little prayer beside it in the glovebox.
    Pictures of the sacred heart on the wall at home with the little red light, and an alter to the virgin mary during may on a little table in the hall.
    Seeing who went to mass on ash wednesday by the mark on their forehead, kneeling down to say a short prayer infront of the crib in the church on christmas eve.

Might think of more later,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

Whats that ring-thing called? Like a rosary ring, or something, with ten knobs around the edge and a cross...
    And little crucifixes on the dashboards of cars, and pictures of Padre Pio with a little prayer beside it in the glovebox.
    Pictures of the sacred heart on the wall at home with the little red light, and an alter to the virgin mary during may on a little table in the hall.
    Seeing who went to mass on ash wednesday by the mark on their forehead, kneeling down to say a short prayer infront of the crib in the church on christmas eve.

Might think of more later,

That's what it's called - a Rosary Ring! Does the same job of counting the decades of the Rosary as the beads, but can be more convenient to use - I use both! :)

Advertisement